1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine related to fuel cap?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SeattleStar, Oct 10, 2008.

1. SeattleStar

SeattleStar New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    After a bit of research through the forums here I have not been able to grasp the exact issue I may be having here. Hopefully someone may have an idea.

2002 Prius
    102k miles

Issue:
    When I go to start the car (usually when cold) the Check Engine light comes on, along with the Triangle Exclamation point. The engine runs for a few seconds then stops completely.

I go out and take the gas cap off and then put it back on tightly.

The engine then restarts, but the Check Engine light and Triangle stays on. Car seems to run fine.

Usually after the next 1 or 2 times of turning the engine off then on the lights reset.

This seems to have something to do with a pressurized/sealed fuel system. However, it just seems to be happening more often.

I tried a new gas cap with no luck.

My next step is a trip to get the error codes read, but I was hoping that maybe someone around here had experience with this.

Little help? :)

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might be able to pull out the trouble codes from your MFD using this thread. Or find a friend with a ScanGauge or similar product. You might ping Galaxee on this, her hubby was a Toyota service tech.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you need to have the DTC read. Note that any codes accessible via the MFD have nothing to do with powertrain issues; hence this is irrelevant to your situation.

My guess is that you will have the P3191 engine does not start code. I doubt that the gas cap has anything to do with your problem, but hope that you used the correct Toyota part when replacing it. The gas cap should be tightened to at least one click.

If you have P3191, TSB EG011-03 suggests replacement of the engine ECU once other issues have been ruled out. Since your car is no longer under warranty, this can be a costly repair unless you can find the correct part number ECU as a salvage part.

You might be able to alleviate the driveability symptoms if you clean the throttle body and throttle plate, and do a tune-up - replace the iridium spark plugs, make sure the engine air filter is clean, and ensure the engine oil is 5W-30 viscosity and not overfilled.

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yes, please do not mix up my mfd code posting with anything to do with check engine codes...

5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like SeattleStar still needs to find somebody with a Scanguage or go to a service station and get the codes read.