1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check engine sign coming up again 1 day after Spark Plugs changed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Salmana, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Salmana

Salmana New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Everyone.
    I am just here to ask a quick question about an odd issue about what might be wrong with my Prius. So, yesterday morning, I turn on my Prius and it was feeling a bit off but I took it to the store. Once I got to the store, the check engine light went on and the engine started knocking and kind of started shaking the car. Found out it was Spark Plug problems. So, got them changed. The light went away. Test drove the car and it was working great.

So, today, I took it out for a long drive it was fine until we almost reached home. I thought nothing of it because the engine light didn't go on and not much was going on. But when I took it out again and went to the store again, it started shaking a bit but not as bad as yesterday only a tiny bit. So, I stop and check the engine, and it kept running and running. Like after it got the spark plugs changed it got a boost of energy or something. So, then I drive home and the check engine light turns on again. So, I check the oil, it was fine, nothing else seemed to be off, just the engine kept running and running. Gas consumption was fine, and only the maintenance light was on because my didn't go to the Toyota changing place (which probably will be my next stop soon).

I just went out by myself on the car to drop something off at someone's house, and at first the prius's engine was running and running but then as I did a few rounds around the blocks, it went back to normal. However, the check engine light is still on but it runs smooth. So, unsure if it is a system problem or a bigger problem?

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The check engine light will flag when there is a problem and a code will be stored in the computer that will help diagnose the problem. You need a code reader, or a shop that can read the code for you.

How many miles on the car and was this your first spark plug change? I wonder if the spark plug cables were checked.

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    no cables on a prius. the coils mount directly over the plugs. could be a bad coil but you need to read the code to find out whats going on.

Salmana likes this.
  4. Salmana

Salmana New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, we got this car second hand two years ago, so not sure how many miles but a lot of miles. The spark plugs were never changed until now. (I made them change the spark plugs...) so maybe 100,000 or more might be on it. It became sluggish a few months back but was waved off by someone saying it was because we leave the engine on too long... Found out most of the spark plugs were wet and rusted.

And does anyone happen to know any shop that does read codes? It would be a great help!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some auto parts like auto zone oreillys and pep boys. or you can go to a toyota dealer.is the gas cap tight?the 12 volt battery can also be suspect.

6. Salmana

Salmana New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an autozone near by, I'll go there and ask them if they can do it. If not then to pep boys it is. toyota dealers are a bit far from me... I was out to put gas into the car but the engine light came up and I went home, so I don't know yet.... Could be if it is causing problems, We did check it, and it was running fine. Just the engine was running too much.

I will update everyone tomorrow afternoon of the problem.

7. Salmana

Salmana New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, Bisco might be right it might be the 12 volt battery since it is coming up as 11.4-11.9... But I did a diagnostic check and the system says everything is good. I roamed around today, and nothing really happened. So, I am guessing it is a computer error since it was not done at dealer shop...but I think we'll be taking it there any ways soon... so thanks for the help! :) The battery was the only thing making sound, everything else was running fine.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for reporting back, all the best.(y)

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    deleted, irrelevant.

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wet rusted spark plugs ...

Time to change out the cowel seal gasket, esp the one that is at the center of the two halves of the plastic cowel. Hardware stores sell foam (grey) and rubberish (black) door/window weather stripping in various widths and thicknesses, buy various black rubberish ones, to do the job. You might want to replace all the original seals at this time since the cowel will be off the car. The thick seals, on the far left and right side, could be made by doubling the two thickest weatherstripping pieces, thus the need to buy various sizes and thickness weatherstripping pieces.

11. Salmana

Salmana New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay. so second update: My dad told me the person changed the spark plugs but he didn't tell me until today that the coil was burnt out too! I was like "If it was just the spark plugs...." but no, he didn't tell me that it was the coil. So, now that I have all the info, I now know it is the coil and not just the engine....

Thanks for the help peeps!

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If one coil is bad, is it ideal to replace the other three coils? Logically, the other three would be failing sometime soon, since they all see the same runtime.

I'm thinking w/ a light bulb analogy. Ideally replace bulbs (ie head light, tail light, turn signals, etc) in pairs b/c the other one will burn out soon, and there will be a substantial brightness difference too.

13. Salmana

Salmana New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So update: everything is fixed but a code of P0505 Idle control system malfunction but everything is working fine. The person said that they need $1000 to replace that part for that error.... So, I don't think we'll be getting that fixed any time soon.... Thanks a load for the help!

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should try cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor, that might fix the problem.

Salmana likes this.
  15. Salmana

Salmana New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, my problem vanished in to thin air today.... engine sign went poof!

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably something stuck in an injector finally came through. like a kidney stone.