1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid Light Due to Outside Heat and/or Long Uphill Stretch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Stephen Ross, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Stephen Ross

Stephen Ross Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I’ve had no issues with the light coming on during the winter. Just during the summer and usually when I’m going uphill for a long time.

Dealership says it is a crankshaft sensor impacted by an oil leak from a faulty timing chain cover gasket …..Does this sound likely?

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not to me. how is the cooling fan, intake grille and electrical connector?

what does the'check hybrid' light look like?

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tell your Toyota Stealership that you want the actual error code from their diagnosis not their desire to think up expensive work that most likely doesn't need to be done...

It's possible that the crankshaft sensor could be to blame if the error code you got points to that. But because it only takes 10 minutes to swap out that $35 part that the stealership will probably charge you $300 for, they decided to sell an expensive repair of the crankcase cover leak without monitoring the leak to decide if it's severe enough to pay for thousands of dollars of dishonest labor charges.

Just buy a cheap replacement sensor on ebay for $35 and pull off your left front wheel, remove the splash quard and unplug and replace the sensor and then thoroughly clean everything down there and confirm the timing chain cover bolts are tight and your done. There's lots of videos online on how to do this, and if you're uncomfortable doing the work find a friend or family member to assist.

Once the engine is clean under there you'll be able to monitor how bad the leak is...