1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System after 12 v battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by redpriuss, Mar 12, 2021.

1. redpriuss

redpriuss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I took my 2010 Prius to the dealership after I needed to jump it a few times and they deemed a bad 12v battery.

I think I caused myself some problems trying to replace it myself instead of having the dealership do it.

I got a battery at Autozone and my car worked fine although I noticed the hybrid charge would go down noticeably more than with the previous 12 v. Now I have a check hybrid light on and not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be sooooo appreciated. Thank you

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Probably just needs a reset by turning the power button on and off 3 times without foot on brake

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go back to auto zone and ask for a free load test

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Before you panic, go BACK to Autozone and get the battery and the charging voltage checked.
    Your new battery might not have been fully charged.......ever.

How long has the new battery been in place ?

5. redpriuss

redpriuss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’d say it’s been about 4-5 weeks since the new 12 v battery was put in.
    The first couple of weeks were fine but started acting weird later on

I really appreciate the help

6. Mike Lee

Mike Lee New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey guys, new here and need help and don’t know how to start a new thread.... I’m sorry if this is intrusive to OP thread but it’s just very urgent as I need the car for work (I do deliveries) ...
    I have a 2011 with 230k miles and the check hybrid system light came on about a week ago. Went on YouTube and reset the light by unplugging the orange pin from the hybrid battery and main and the white wire from the fuse box (I think that’s the main power?) left it that way for 10 minutes and put it all back and worked fine for about 500 miles. Then it came back again and did the same thing but this time only went 10-15 miles before message came back on and after a few more times I didn’t unplug the 2 things and drove with it and every 10-15 miles or so, the message would turn on and off.

Once the message appears, The car will only use the hybrid battery to move the car and won’t turn the engine on but I figured out when it happens, I turn off the car, leave it off for about 30 seconds and after I turn the car on and press the power mode, I can use the engine power to drive but the message, CEL and occasionally the temp gauge light will flash. It happens every time I start to drive around about 10-15 miles.

So yesterday, I took out the blowing fan motor from the hv and thoroughly cleaned it which was pretty clogged (never cleaned before) thinking the battery wasn’t getting the air causing the problem, and it drove about 25 miles then the problem persisted. I thought it might be a broken fan but I hear and see the fan running so that’s not it.

Any ideas about what it can be? Can it be that the fan isn’t working properly?

Could it also be the 12v battery not providing enough power? It’s never been changed since I bought it new and noticed a few things failing like the power mirrors, windshield wipers not working on the first 2 settings but works for the fastest and the headlights seem to be dimmer.

Also, at times when I start the car whether it’s a cold start or in and out, the whirring at the beginning is louder and the HUD lights take awhile to fully display...

any advice would be appreciated as I do deliveries for work and need my car working but don’t have the money to buy a new car or a new hybrid battery for that matter..

I will try to get a code for when the CEL and message come back on again and post. Thanks in advance guys.