1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Check Hybrid System" After Head Gasket Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by theheapstoe, Dec 29, 2021.

1. theheapstoe

theheapstoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First off, I know others have asked similar questions, but I cannot seem to find a solution that is working for me.

I changed the head gasket, installed a new PCV, changed all other gaskets I could from the set I purchased, cleaned the fuel injectors, cleaned the various levels of the engine. I checked the timing. All wires are plugged in. All hoses connected. No leaks.

After finishing everything, I started the car and it ran REALLY rough for a few seconds, so I turned it off. I checked the engine compartment to see how I felt about it and started it up again. It ran rough and then quit. Now I cannot start it.

I have codes P3190, P0113, and P102. On the dash, I have "Check Hybris System", which I cannot seem to get it to go away, even when trying to clear codes. I also see the yellow exclamation point, the traction control symbol, the e-brake light, the door open light, the steering! light, the check engine light, and the ABS and circle with the ! light.

135k miles, oil consumption issue, I was trying to fix a bunch of stuff at once. Not sure what went wrong. Help?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The P0113 and P0102 codes refer to the intake temperature and mass airflow readings, which come from the same sensor at the back of the air box. How do you feel about the way that is connected?

3. theheapstoe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have disassembled it a few times, each time being careful to get that connecter snug. I have cleaned the connectors and used MAF cleaner on the sensor. Is there a way to check it with a voltmeter to see if it is still working? I don't mind replacing parts, but I don't want to just start throwing parts at it if I can't even get the "Check Hybrid System" to go away.

I am going to crack open the timing cover one more time, before I cleared the codes to try and get it started again, there were other codes, ones that wouldn't have triggered again since the engine won't turn over. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't set it right, but what would that have to do with the other codes?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with you that you don't have any codes implicating the timing chain. The codes you do have implicate the IAT and MAF readings.

In the Repair Manual (more info), you can find detailed troubleshooting steps for determining why those readings are weird, if you didn't spot anything just wiggling the connector.

5. theheapstoe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: I was able to reset the Hybrid System by unplugging both batteries, the ECU and the white cable from the fuse box and then letting it sit overnight. On starting it, the codes for the MAF and such went away, but the timing was off. I spent the day fixing the timing.

NOW, it runs great but the electric motor and the gas engine won't work together. The car can move forward and back on the hybrid battery, but it won't trigger the gas motor unless I put it in park and push the gas. On top of all the repairs I've done...is my battery going bad? How can I charge it up without the motor so I can take it out for a test drive and see if they'll start working together?

6. theheapstoe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE!!
    I got it to work! It's all going just fine now and I drove it around for awhile to check. The only issue left over at this point is the oil drain bolt won't snug up. It goes in normally and then spins and spins...so I need to buy a new oil pan, I assume.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Attached Files:

8. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you share what was the fix for the problem? I'm having similar issues after changing water pump, thermostat, cleaning intake and EGR and cooler all at the same time. Have check hybrid system error and when the engine does run it's idling sporadically. Currently have both batteries unhooked to sit overnight while I was on a new ODBII dongle for Techstream since I disposed of my last one thinking I wouldn't have another prius.

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They make replacment self tapping drian plug bolts. You can also helicoil it.
    A lot cheaper and easier than replacing the pan.