1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System error after unconnected 12V battery short circuit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cata1in, Aug 29, 2021.

1. cata1in

cata1in New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hello! I have a Auris hybrid, I know it's now a prius but are very similar. Today I had to jump start another car (opel astra 2007). I unplugged my car from the 12V battery, connected the cables and started the other car. The problem came when another person while taking out the cables, accidentally touched them together and created a short circuit, while they were connected to my battery. I reconnected my car to the 12V batter, started the car and was all good. But after 100meters check engine light came up and also check hybrid system. Another problem is that the rear wheals seem to lock themselves, for a few moments, after a few hundred meters; after 700 meters the car stopped completely.

Do you think that all this could be from the short circuit at the 12V battery even if the auris wasn't connected when the incident occurred ? The 12V Toyota battery has any circuits inside that could've been affected ?

If you have any ideas feel free to share them! Tomorrow I'll try to go to a Toyota service and see what is the problem.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If your car was disconnected from its 12 volt battery at the time the cables touched, I am leaning toward no serious damage to the car. It will be interesting to find out what the trouble codes are, and that exactly is the next thing I would do if the car were mine.

3. cata1in

cata1in New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    It was disconnected from both positive and negative cables during the jump start and the short circuit events. After the car stopped, because of the errors, I disconnected again the 12V battery, for about 30 seconds, and the errors didn't show again. The problem is I only drive it a few meters, I'm afraid it will stop again and I'll get stuck in traffic in the middle of the road. Tomorrow I'll try to find a tow truck and get it to a Toyota service.

4. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where exactly was the short? Am I understanding you correctly that you disconnected your battery from your car and used the battery to jump the other car? Or were the jumper cables connected to your car without a 12V battery and you jumped the other car directly? Or something else?

Most importantly, when the short happened, what exactly was connected to what?

5. cata1in

cata1in New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    When the short circuit happened my car was disconnected from the 12v battery. Only the jump cables were connected to my battery. My father in law disconnected the cables from his car and accidentally touched them together, while they were connected to my battery.
    After this, I disconnected the jump cables from the battery and reconnected my car.

Like I said, during the jump start and short circuit events my car was not connected to the 12V battery. My dilemma is if the 12V Toyota battery has any circuits inside that could've been affected in this process?

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If your battery was disconnected from your car with both the positive and negative cables removed and then your battery was shorted it is very possible that only your 12v battery is damaged. It could now be putting an excessive load on your car's dc to dc charging system.

Some diagnostic information is available with a voltage test, it should be over 13vdc in Ready. Lower is not good but it could also be intermittently low. I would also remove the battery and have it load tested.

Finally, never jump start using your small agm 12v battery. Get a lithium jump pack made for the purpose and keep it in the car where it can be accessed if the motor operated rear hatch is dead.