1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check hybrid system light came on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Daki, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Daki

Daki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok so I have a 2010 Prius 5 and before I took it into service the car started acting weird. At slow speeds it would be in like ev mode and wen I would push on the throttle it would kinda lag n almost feel like the car was gonna die out but it didn't. It would only happen once in awhile. When I took it in for service at Toyota I mentioned the problem n they couldn't find anything wrong. So a few days later I was leaving Costco and as I got bout 10 feet away from the stall I was in the car did that same almost die out thing but the car started beeping and all the lights on the dash came on with the check hybrid system. Every light was on n stayed on tpms, traction control light ect. The car still ran but it ran like shit n the engine stay running the whole time.I managed to get home safely and took it into Toyota on a stand by appointment the next day. 3 days later they call saying the car is ready to pick up n the problem was the hybrid battery (240volt) was no good n was coverd under the hybrid side of the warranty which is 8 years/180,000miles. Anybody else ran into this problem yet oh n btw the car has 64,000 miles I maintain the car very well I did all fluid flushes at 50,000miles. this was the first problem I ever had with the car. image.jpg

2. Daki

Daki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Btw I know the dealer had to of changed it because they left some items in a ziplock that they found under the back seat. Which was nice of them because they could of took my iPhone charger cord n cube. Lol oh n the car was completely empty because I had it detailed right before the service.

3. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In January I had to replace the traction battery in my 2010. Warranty was only 8year/100K & it had ~140K on the clock.
    I had been monitoring the traction battery with Torque & I knew it was failing. I found a used battery from a low mileage 2012 that I installed (after a few charge/discharge cycles using custom equipment to get the battery back in top condition). I've got ~4K on the replacement battery & everything is working great.
    Replaced Traction Battery - 2010 Prius | PriusChat
    Your failed battery is only the second that I know of here on Priuschat (on a G3).
    It sounds like your service department did a great job. You were fortunate the battery failed while still under warranty. Its like you just got a "new" Prius! Enjoy

Bay Stater and Daki like this.
  4. Daki

Daki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yup I was thinking about trading it in for something else but I though ah I get probably another 5 years at the least. Considering how long I had the car since this problem. Looks like I'm gonna keep the car to save money on gas. lol thanks for the reply n I'm glad I wasn't the only one who ran into this problem.

5. soncoy

soncoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm having the same exact problem with my 2010 Prius. Suddenly all the lights came on plus "Check hybrid system" today. It drives a little bit sluggishly. Unfortunately I just passed the 8-year warranty period a few months ago but have less than 100,000 miles. Toyota dealership will do a diagnostic test in a couple of days. When I called Toyota headquarters today they opened up a case number and asked me to call them back with the results. If it does need a new battery I don't expect them to come through. Anything else this could be besides the battery? The Toyota dealership acted like it could be dozens of things.

Bay Stater and Grit like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car has trouble codes that can be read by the dealer software and some other scanners. Other trouble scanners only read the basic codes, not the hybrid specific ones.
    The lights are just to alert you that there are active trouble codes. The codes (and freeze frame data, if any) dictate the troubleshooting path.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It can be different things.

For ~$75 you can buy your own tools to read and scan codes as well as see live data like battery voltage.
    - Android phone/tablet
    - Elm 327 Bluetooth OBDII reader
    - Torque Pro app

I feel like all owners of older Prius should automatically be issued these things once the cars reach a certain age. Would really help when trying to diagnose inevitable problems that arise.

Prius ZVW30 and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I should put this in a saved text message to copy and paste:

Your car is about 8 years old.
    That is usually the absolute outside range of how long the 12 V battery lasts.

On ANY modern vehicle that is computer controlled, you MUST first ensure that the power supply for the computers is good before chasing any other problems. That is the 12 V, so called Aux., battery.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Perhaps because this is true? The "CHECK HBYRID SYSTEM" warning will come on for everything under the sun. In your shoes, I would get the dealership to check the codes, go from there. Be sure to get the codes from them, post here.

NutzAboutBolts and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. Keepdriving

Keepdriving Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have 2010 Prius. Check Hybrid system light came on for the 1st time last July, scared the heck out of me as I had no idea what that meant. My mechanic and then the Toyota dealer both said I need a new battery, about $4000 dollars. I already had 195k miles so I wasn’t sure I would want to spend that kinda money. I got a OBD2 scanner from amazon and turned off the warning light and decide to just drive until the battery completely died and then I would just junk it. Well, I’m at 208k miles now and the car is still driving very well. My mpg has gone down to 48mpg from 53 ish, however.

11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You NEED to have the 12 V battery tested.
    If it is bad, replacing it might buy you a little more time.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what happen to sam spade (1)?(n)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    !I do not know. I ignore them both. ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They both ended up in the same place for me;).

bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we need a detective to investigate.:cautious:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmm
    Great think alike but fools seldom differ.:cautious: Which are we? o_O

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ll get right on it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

bisco likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If Bisco is such a fan maybe he needs to be put in the same place we put the Sams.. ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Depends who you ask;).

I know which one my wife he would say:oops:.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Meh, his wit is very seldom condescending, particular to newbies;).

He also said welcome a lot and distributes likes :).