1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Check Hybrid System" light comes on after driving through heavy rain

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TheTree, Feb 25, 2017.

1. TheTree

TheTree New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Google-fu hasn't brought me any answers so hopefully someone here has some idea of how to help. My problem is more of an inconvenience. I have a 2010 Prius that I bought with 56,000 miles on it and now has over 140,000 miles on it. It took me until it was out of warranty to realize the pattern behind my 'Check Hybrid System' light coming on, but there is definitely a pattern. The first time it happened was shortly after buying the car. I took it to a local Toyota dealership and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it, and that this sometimes happens when you let your Prius run out of gas. I HAD run out of gas, but not immediately before the light came on, so I left with a suspicion that I would have the problem again.

It didn't happen for a few months. When it did happen, I took it to the same dealership and this time they replaced the entire inverter assembly (under warranty)- the tech I spoke with told me that they spent "many hours" just diagnosing the problem, and that the main tech had never been so confused by a hybrid system problem. I drove away confident the problem had been solved.

The next couple times it happened I was too busy to take it to a dealership so I reset the light on my own by removing the battery lead overnight and waited for it to come back, hoping that an actual diagnosable problem would pop up. I was actually hoping that I would be left stranded somewhere because it was clear to me that the techs at the dealership I had been going to had no idea what was going on, and I figured that if the car became unoperational they would finally be able to solve the problem. It didn't happen... but the light came on again.

The fifth time it happened was just after the hybrid system warranty expired. At this point I just wanted the problem solved, and I took it to a different Toyota dealership- I work in the industry, and while my company does business with both of these dealerships, the second dealership is a much more honestly-run business. I didn't take it to the second dealership for so long because it's more out of my way, and because I'm very, very dumb.

The second dealership was more transparent, and I was able to get a good idea of the problem- there was a non-specific high voltage leak SOMEWHERE, but the techs had absolutely no idea where it originated from. Everything that typically throws the same code was checked and was in good working condition. Once again, they spent hours on it, and drove it for almost 50 miles trying to replicate the problem. They couldn't, and asked me to drive it until the problem came back.

When it did come back, I finally put 2 and 2 together- it ONLY happens when I drive through heavy rain or uncleared slushy roads for an extended period of time. I took it back to the dealership with this information- and they blamed it on damage to the plastic underside of the car that would cost $2000 to properly repair. I would've happily spent the money if I had any confidence it would fix the problem that began 50,000 miles before I damaged the plastic that they were suddenly convinced was the source of the problem.

Since then it's happened 5 or 6 more times. If I drive through very heavy rain or slushy roads for more than about 15 minutes, the "Check Hybrid System" warning comes on, and only when I stop the car (like at a stop light or parking space) for more than a minute. It follows this exact pattern every single time- the first time it happened, long before I made the rain connection (or damaged the underside of my car) I was in the heaviest rainstorm I've ever driven through. Every single time the car drives completely normally with the light on. And every single time, as long as I let the car dry out for a few hours, the light won't come back on when I reset it.

So with that whole dissertation... any ideas?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Have you looked in the back spare tire area for water? What damage has happened underneath the car where the plastic is damaged? Is the car a clean title, or has it been in an accident? Do you have the ability or know someone who can put the car on a lift or raise the car up on stands to look underneath?

3. TheTree

TheTree New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've put it on a lift myself many times before. The plastic damage is from hitting a snowbank a couple years back, and I can't find anything broken that would previously have been watertight. Some of the plastic cracked, and the piece around the right front wheel well was pulled away (and reattached). I'd be happy to be proven wrong though- if this is the problem I can probably source the damaged plastic for a couple hundred bucks.

The car had been in another accident before I bought it. I have a feeling this is the source of the issue. The Carfax was nonspecific, as usual, but the driver's door is a slightly different shade than the rest of the car and the curve of the hood doesn't exactly match the bumper cover- so it was probably a T-bone situation to the front left.

I just checked the spare tire area for water and none is visible, but I may be looking in the wrong spot- is there someplace under that compartment I should be checking?

dorunron and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If 2 different dealerships can't identify the problem, it's probably related to the accident and shoddy repair work.

Trade it in for a new prius

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What codes did they pull at the dealership? Have you looked in the inverter reservoir to see if there is turbulence? The inverter pump is right behond the driver side headlight, so some front end damage may have caused some damage to the pump. Is the plastic intact around the wheel wells? Do you have an OBD2 reader so you can monitor some specific parameters?

Unfortunately cars that have been in accidents can have many causes for issues. When the previous owner sold the car to you, did they have any pictures or description of the damage?

As for the water, from your description it sounds like water is getting to the HV wiring in some form or fashion. Since you have had it up on a lift before, IMO it would be worth investigating all the orange wiring visually to see if there is any damage to any of the wires. A drivers side accident with hood and visual defects could mean they got the inverter or a wire behind it. Visual inspection for now, but if you see something exposed, do not touch as there will be 220 D.C. Volts behind it. If you are going to perform intrinsic work in the orange wires, the orange safety plug on the HV battery will need to be pulled prior to work.

#5 Raytheeagle, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you get clarification from them: did they see damaged high voltage (orange) wiring? Can they show you the damage?

If yes, and considering this happens when it rains, it sounds like they are making headway.

dorunron, TheTree and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't seen any specific trouble code in this thread yet, and that would be helpful, but post 1 paragraph 5 does say "high voltage leak" so I'll go with that.

Searching around PriusChat forums, you can find a procedure for narrowing down where such a leak might be. The basic idea is to clear the code first, then take note of when it comes back. This is trickier when it's intermittent as in this case, but maybe you can drive through enough slush to get a code that comes back right after clearing, and then you can follow the procedure.

If the code comes back when the car is only ON (not READY), the leak must be within the battery. The system main relay is open in that condition, so it can't be anywhere else. (Unless there's also a fault in the SMR, which should have its own code.)

If it comes back when in READY, it could be in the cabling from the battery forward, the inverter, or the MGs. If you can shift to N fast enough, and the code comes back in N, the MGs are out of the picture, and the leak is in the cable or inverter.

The cable runs along the outside bottom of the car part of the way, where it could possibly take physical damage allowing water in. It's easy to locate down there, it's orange.

Careful about touching it. Under normal circumstances, with no leak codes detected, it won't hurt you (the orange covering is insulation, after all), but in your case the computer's already telling you there's a leak somewhere, so normal rules don't apply. Keep a respectful distance unless the car is OFF (for an extra margin of safety, pull the service plug).

Other places water might intrude could be the gasketed entrances where the orange cabling enters the inverter or the MGs. You've got a Gen 3, so the orange cabling over to the air conditioner compressor is also a suspect.

You could (with the service plug out, natch) disconnect the ends of all of these cables, isolating them, then test with a megger between each conductor and the shield layer around it. Maybe with some salt water spray going.

If the megger finds some conductivity somewhere, you could then do a close visual of every inch of that cable, and you might spot a nick or gouge somewhere.

That would give you the satisfaction of finding the culprit. It wouldn't be necessary to the fix: Toyota doesn't condone any attempt at repairing the high-voltage wiring. If the megger finds a fault, you just replace whichever cable assembly the fault's in.

In the parts catalogs, I think the one from the battery forward to the inverter has the not-very-obvious name "frame wire", for some reason.

-Chap

8. TheTree

TheTree New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mendel Leisk- no, they didn't. It was unfortunately pretty clear they weren't sure what the issue was.

Raytheeagle- I actually have a top-of-the-line Snap-On OBDII scanner at my disposal at work. Unfortunately one of its only limitations is that it can't access the specific information a Techstream would. I've tried pulling codes before when this problem has happened and they've been non-specific (to the point that I really can't even remember what the relevant code was). Is there something else I should be looking for? I really appreciate your help.

ChapmanF- THANK YOU so much for this info! Hopefully whatever got wet hasn't fully dried and if I disconnect the 12v battery the code will come back (and hopefully NOT when the car isn't ready...)

dorunron and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You would love for it to come back when the car isn't ready. A leak inside the battery will likely clean up with a little boric acid/water scrub. Nothing else is likely to be that cheap or easy.

I wish I had added above ... if you do end up disconnecting any of those cables, please be vewwy vewwy careful to re-torque those connectors exactly to spec.

-Chap

10. Syed Saeed Khalid

Syed Saeed Khalid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    The write up and reply were very informative as I was searching for a solution to my Check Hybrid System problem. In my passion to clean my Toyota Prius 2010 to its thread , I forgot the location of the Hybrid battery and poured soup solution on the covering fabric to wash it. Some water also seeped into the floor in washing of seats. Later I got the master warning light( yellow triangle with sign of exclamation) and the Check Hybrid System message. Pressing the display tab I get the mfd but after 5 seconds gets replaced by the message. The car is now dry. I can drive it as it shows ready in a corner instead of in the centre. The gear display is also not there. The engine starts and shuts off too just like normal. I have not driven the car far for fear of some damage. I tried resetting the code by three switch ons and offs but no good. Planning to disconnect the negative of the 12 v battery, but have no SD card and probably will have a dysfuctional W60 navigation/sound system.
    Will welcome any advice. From my study I believe one of the safety device like CCID or ground fault monitor or relays were activated due to drenching of battery. Where are these located and do they auto reset after water goes away.

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Greetings,

I would try to get a copy of Techstream and then load it onto a laptop. Techstream is what Toyota uses to pull codes on their products.
    Most code readers only read basic engine codes and will not pick up on specific codes related to Prius.

Once you have the Techstream you will be able to pull all codes. Make notes of any codes you see, then try to clear all codes. Wait a day or so and then try to pull codes again. If no codes, no problemo. Simply observe what is going on. Once you finally get the same code or codes coming through the Techstream, then do a google search on those specific codes. Most google searches will come back to Prius Chat and hopefully give you some track to follow to solve your problem.

Best of luck to you and yours and Welcome to Prius Chat!

Ron (dorunron)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Keep in mind the high voltage is protected by GFI circuits on -both- positive and negative leads. A leak to ground (chassis) from either will trip off the high voltage relay in the battery pack. So you don't have that. It doesn't sound like a high voltage leak is the problem to me.

It's possible there is a water leak at one of the connectors on the inverter, letting water into the connector pins. Some water can eventually get underhood and get sprayed around by the fan or air movement.

13. Syed Saeed Khalid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I disconnected the 12 volt battery negative lead for hours and reconnected it. Now the message " Check Hybrid System" as well as the warning light are gone. However half of the dash board lights like transmission mode, fuel, speed and others are not coming on. The hybrid display also seems weird with engine running electric motor and motor charging battery etc. The car has ready sign towards one end of the dash board and I can move it though there seems to be some problem in power steering. Have checked a number of fuses , they all were ok. What can I do to sort out this problem. I have no adv OBD equipment or gadgets. Should I disconnect the hybrid battery for a while by pulling out the orange plug? Will it reset the relays and computer? Is it safe to drive the car to a workshop with display showing unnatural sort of power transfer. Will appreciate a simple answer.

14. Syed Saeed Khalid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ron , thank you for your welcome note

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In this case, sorry to say, a simple answer would probably not be the helpful kind. If you don't have any OBD-reading gadgets, your best path forward is probably to acquire one, or visit someone who has one. Any effort to troubleshoot without the codes is likely to be more complicated and/or expensive.

-Chap

16. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check also for chewed up wires from underneath. Rodents love the Orange wires. If exposed in the right areas, they could easily be getting wet when normally nothing does, even when plowing through water.

17. Syed Saeed Khalid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to someone who cleared the codes, yet the meter display was not coming. We thought that some water had seeped into the meter area and hence made a controlled spray of carburettor cleaner at the joint in the dashboard, avoiding the plastics. In seconds the display appeared and is showing fog at the lower side. Hopefully it will go away with time and I don't have to get it cleaned with the exercise of accessing it, dismantling the dashboard. Lesson learnt for the benefit of all, NEVER BE LAVISH WITH WATER ON THE DASHBOARD. ALWAYS RESTRICT YOURSELF TO LIGHT WET CLOTH TO CLEAN IT.
    Everything in the car is now normal and I have huge relief. Hardly spent any amount on it but lot of anxiety as the car never bothered me for anything for the last three years and I am so very happy with it. Thanks to everyone for giving your invaluable comments. learnt a lot in the process.

kc410, Raytheeagle and Montgomery like this.
  18. Khan82

Khan82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have 2010 Toyota prius base , have same issues that when i drove it in havey rain and on stop sighn my prius check engine and hybrid light comes on and it not happen in short distance it happens when I drove car for an hour or for 2 hours . the car never been an accident before, or no any visible damage.
    any solution.......
    Thanks