1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System light on.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Junior Flip, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Junior Flip

Junior Flip New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hello Everyone,

Looking for answers... I have a 2013 Prius Persona with about 5,300 miles on the vehicle. Just recently had the 5,000 mile service taken care of at a local toyota dealership. The very next day I tried to start my vehicle with no prevail. My instrument panel indicates "check hybrid system" (!) the car will not start, nor will it shift into drive or reverse, only into the neutral position. Made several attempts to turn vehicle on and off and tried to jump start. Still no luck. Had the car towed back to the dealership. Mechanics are still trying to identify the problem. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what may be the cause?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately, almost anything can cause that error message.

I got it after probing around the fuse box with a multimeter looking for a power source for a mod that was powered only with ignition On (Ready Mode). Specifically, I was probing the fuse with one lead, then grounding the other lead on the multimeter to ground, measuring voltage.

Just about cr@pped my pants when I got the Check Hybrid System error message on the MFD screen. Had to try many times powering On, powering Off, repeat, repeat, repeat. Then it came on with no errors, and was fine afterwards. Whew.

Apparently, the error arises when abnormal current is detected at ground, or something to that effect. Something may have shorted to ground during the service procedure. If it was temporary and nothing else is wrong, it should clear. Hopefully.

SCH-I535

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The 'universal reset' is to disconnect the 12V battery ground for a minute or so and reconnect. In effect, a power-on reset that clears everything. It also wipes out any diagnostic information.

Bob Wilson

WE0H likes this.
  4. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For me it took about 15 minutes one time. One Minute is sometimes not long enough for all the computers to reset. By the way on the Gen 3 you can do this by unplugging the big white connector at the jump point under the hood. No need to get to the 12v battery.

Thanks,
    Dan Lander

5. Jeet

Jeet New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have 2010 toyota prius we use it as taxi so that light is for its relay box right next to the hybrid battery. It gets corrosion inside to the relay. It's gona happen more in cold when u let the car sit longer. It will start if u try couple of times. It should be under warranty since ur car is so new. Thanks

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would make sure the oil level is correct and not overfilled

SM-N900P ?