1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System message after tire change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Fluxuated, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I Opened my 2011 Prius trunk to get the tire wrench to take my snow tires off, and install my main tires and rims. When I went to start up the car after it was done, I have a "Check Hybrid System" Message on the MFD. I wondered if I'd hit one of the 2 orange items on the Electric drive battery, that was exposed in the trunk, and I can't get rid of the message. The car is not drivable, the system doesn't read "READY" and the engine doesn't start.

I had my Scan Gauge II check for codes and none were found.

What are the 2 ORANGE items in the following Image. I'm thinking one may possibly be the problem. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm thinking it's more likely that you disturbed a cable connection to the 12V battery or if you left doors open for an hour during the change maybe pulled the 12V battery voltage low.

The large one on the right is the service plug which allows the HV battery to be disabled. To disable the battery you'd pull the looped end out (rotating it 90° outward) then pull the plug out of the battery. This doesn't usually happen accidentally. Toyota wants you to wear insulated gloves if you work with this, by the way.

[Edit: I misunderstood the plug handle operation. See the last couple of postings]

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unhooking the 12V battery shouldn't cause any warnings or codes to be generated, I have unhooked mine several times while working on things with no problems.

If it happened to me I would go ahead and disconnect the hybrid battery with the orange plug and reconnect it, it may be a loose connection that was disturbed when you bumped it. If it won't go to Ready now it seems you have nothing to lose by trying, just be careful there is 200V in there somewhere.

If you feel uncomfortable unhooking the HV battery it might be better to have it towed to a dealer and let them find the problem.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does the car still drive? If so, I'd take it for a good run and attempt to charge the 12v. I wonder if you've run the 12v down when you had the doors and hatch open.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You need to push the big orange plug to the right to lock it in place. Evidently you pulled this plug to the left.

The black circle (post) on top of the orange plug should be all the way to the left of the slot to be in locked position.

tumbleweed likes this.
  6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So you're saying that the handle needs to be pushed (not rotated) to the right until it clicks?

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's what the manual says for reinstalling the plug:
    [​IMG]
    (b) Rotate the handle of the service plug grip 90°toward the battery and slide it in the direction shown by the arrow until a click sound is heard.

That would be what the arrow for step 3 is showing.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, just "slide" it to the right to lock it in place. Which would be Step 3 in the manual description.

He must have hooked it and pulled it to the left while getting his tire tool.

When you install the plug you rotate it to the left 90 degrees and then slide it to the right to lock.

9. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's EXACTLY what happened. I fixed it earlier this afternoon, had no idea it slid. Not only did I need to slide it, but it needed a good tap, the first time It still had the error, if you tap it to the side, it engaged and is working perfectly now.

Thanks for the reply!

jdcollins5 likes this.