1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System message. Car doesn’t enter Ready mode. Stuttering engine losing Eng. coolant.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ivfx, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ivfx

ivfx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota dealership told me it’s a head gasket failure, you guys diagnosed it just from the earlier post here.

So today the car started losing coolant faster and stuttering not just bile starting. It consumed a full gallon of distilled water today over 250 miles. Coolant was running low again then I got the engine overheat light and some “sucking” noise and then I let the engine cool down and filled in a bit more distilled water.

“Check Hybrid System” message and orange triangle came on. It went away a few times after starting/turning off engine 3 times and car was driving during that time.

The last time, the message came on and the engine cut off. Car is not entering Ready mode even though it has been off and cooling down for one hour. I was able to shift to Neutral to park away from traffic.

Also, I’m back in Dallas. I am trying to find a decent Prius mechanic. Your input is greatly appreciated. I am leaving my car near Dallas Arboretum on a neighborhood street until I can find a mechanic because towing 40 miles back and forth seems crazy.

Just two days ago I had to replace the AC Heater control unit because ac would turn on. Electrical mechanic I found at first replaced the AC amplifier (was not ultimately needed). Parts from junkyard $105. Mechanic $360. Now this.

I thought I’d be working with the car. Now I’m having to stop work because of the car. Go figure. At least I’ll be able to use a family members car until they get back from a trip.

HALP!!!!

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the engine drank thru a gallon of coolant, you should just start looking for a used engine. That engine is not a good candidate for repair; the bearings are likely to be damaged and you probably have bent connecting rods.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ^ Agreed, with a major head gasket problem left unaddressed for a while that engine is probably done by now.

Replace engine or replace car, a toss-up.

4. ivfx

ivfx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My question is, why “check hybrid system” message? Did the engine die and the hybrid system powered the car for half mile and then it died too? Why would it not enter Resdy mode at all ?

Should I try and disconnect the orange hybrid battery plug and try starting the car?

5. ivfx

ivfx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Also, people who have bought a used gen 3 engine, how mich was it and how much did the installation cost?

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That’s a good hypothesis.

Somebody needs to plug Techstream into this car and dig deeper. Anything else is guesswork.

ivfx likes this.
  7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably about $4K-$5K.

Average cost of a low mileage engine is $1500-$2K.

Add in some parts (fluids, plugs, filters, etc.), markup and 11.5-14 hr of labor (at $125-$175/hr) and that is how you will arrive at that figure.