1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System message

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mainerinexile, Dec 22, 2010.

1. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Searched for threads about this error message, didn't find much substantive except 'check your gas cap'.

2010 Prius III with 18,000 miles. Car sat overnight in the garage, temp of the car about 50 degrees. Pushed start this morning, got the yellow warning triangle, the check engine light, and the 'Check Hybrid System' warning message. Called the dealer, they said no big deal, bring it in tomorrow, OK to drive it today. So I did, but the ICE never started. I drove down the street and up a hill, quickly realizing that I was under electric-only power as it slowed down on the hill. Returned home after perhaps a mile of electric-only power.

Turned the car off and on three times as I'd seen mentioned here, the ICE finally started with great reluctance and vibration, and now everything seems fine.

Does anyone have any insight about this error message and the fact that the ICE never started? I thought the Prius wouldn't run on electric-only power if the engine was disabled (such as out of gas).

Thanks.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, that is a wild one. I am surprised too that is ran at all with that kind of a problem. What was the lowest SOC that you observed?

In any case, there should be an error code in there that the tech will be able to followup on.

3. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I couldn't see the SOC because the error message blocked that part of the screen.

BTW, the dealer said they can't access an error code unless the error is still current, When I cleared it, that presumably deleted the error code. Is this correct?

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, those codes (if there was one) should still be kept in there.

5. ePrius

ePrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have footwell lights, illuminated door sills, fog lights and HIDs. Would any of these modifications trigger the error message 'Check Hybrid System'?

Cause I got the message 'Check Hybrid System' yesterday night. I turned off the car and waited a few minutes before turning it on and it did. I called the service center and they told me to bring the car in. As of now, it is unknown what triggered the message.

I am thinking the light modification couldn't have trigger the message. I had the HIDs for about a year; foglights since October '10 and the door sills & footwell lights since last month. I'm thinking if something had gone wrong, the problem would have shown immediately after the installation.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I installed my HU last year, I did not unhook the 12v battery. I turned on the car before connecting gear shift and the other button on the fly bridge and I also got the dreaded message. As someone pointed out then, all I had to do was cycle the car on/off (to ready mode) three times and the message went away. So assuming there really is not a problem, the message should go away after three cycles.

7. ePrius

ePrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone know the cause of this message?

Thanks!

8. bartelby19320

bartelby19320 Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My warning went on a couple of days ago and turns out I had a cooling fan failure for the battery in the back. Only have 2096 miles on it. VERY dissappointed!