1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"check hybrid system" P3190 error

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MrDan, May 22, 2024.

1. MrDan

MrDan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello i have a 2010 toyota prius Gen 3 my Car stopped on the freeway and prompted me with the "check hybrid system " . My question is can i reset the "check hybrid system " notification that comes up on the screen with a regular obd scanner? because i took it to the mechanic and he charged my $200 to "unlock the hybrid system ". He was saying that it needs a special prius scanner to unlock the hybrid system so it can charge again. which im thinking now that he just may have cleared the code. And i had to replace the 12v battery myself. BTW it ended up being the 12v battery being dead and unable to provide sufficient power to the the hybrid system thats why i was getting the P3190 code. i could have saved $200 if i just changed the battery is what im getting at. But i was reading on this thread that there is mini vci? and toyota tech stream can that clear the check hybrid system lock? or was the mechanic just over charging me?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Dry your regular cheap 3190 Innova scanner and clear the codes twice in succession did that clear your hybrid problem probably so but you need to find out what that hybrid problem is You don't need to go to the person with the $200 solution that's not necessarily the case You just did this with a $45 scanner if in fact you did it some regular scanners will clear these silly codes by hitting the clear button twice answering the question the engines off and the keys on so on and so forth. Sometimes they won't but quite a few times they will so it pays to have a cheap OBD2 scanner like the Innova 3190 I've been using it for years on Prius without any problems and it does most everything I needed to do to not pay the guy $200 I've been doing it for years right here in the house You can too. Of course now you can shoot off into the realm of all these scanners you can turn around and buy something like the AP200 for $55 and it will do most everything that you are going to ever want to do with your car in your care then you can keep all those $200 and use the $58 device to get most of the information you need probably more than you'll want A lot of places now are charging two and $300 to scan and look at your car You can either fall for that or spend that $300 on a used Mk 808 scanner. That one time purchase will pay for itself several times over the next few years. And boy are you going to need it the next few years going forward with these kinds of vehicles you will be needing a scanning services a lot You may just want to buy your own.

3. MrDan

MrDan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got it, so I did just waste $200 lol I already had an old scanner I just couldn't identify the problem with my prius I didn't know it was the 12v battery. I should have known tho , windows were slow gas milage was going down , it was giving me all the signs

bisco likes this.