1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Check Hybrid System, Pull Over In Safe Place"

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JamesRyan, Dec 12, 2018.

1. JamesRyan

JamesRyan New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    I see a lot of people talking about this error message. My dealership says it's a kill switch in the battery once it detects high voltage it turns itself off and won't go into ready mode. So I've had to get it towed to the dealership twice to get the thing rebooted or whatever it's called so it will drive.

So today they said it's being triggered because I don't have the plastic cover over the battery. I think this is total bullshit and an excuse so they don't have to replace the battery which I think is the real issue here.

Anyone have a similar issue with their Prius C? High voltage kill switch triggering.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just checking- have you been cleaning the battery cooling fan and ductwork? Under the back seat. If the vents or ductwork clogs with pet hair or gets obstructed by a shopping bag etc, you can have even more trouble than usual.

ztanos and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what plastic cover? what have you been fiddling with back there?

you need to get the trouble codes read. if they have done, and you paid for them, post them here for analysis,
    sounds like your dealer is clueless.

4. Steve Morris

Steve Morris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Hiya, I had the same problem, this occurred after hours, so I got the car towed to my home and got a lift home too. Then I had an idea I recall reading somewhere on priuschat, the idea was to disconnect the 12V battery for at least one minute then I reconnected it back up. I did that and the fault has been cleared. It's been good for the last couple of weeks so far. I do have the covers around the battery access area below the rear seats off, I also changed the fuel pump by removing the back seat etc..... so that's why the covers are off.....and it would seem the connection of the battery to the hybrid system was slightly disconnected, probably kicked at some point whenever my young child got in and out of the car! Cheers

PriusCamper likes this.