1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System Stop The Vehicle In a Safe Place 2013 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cblanco, Feb 12, 2017.

1. cblanco

cblanco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hello everyone! I have a question about my 2013 Prius Persona. It has 66k miles and has been serviced religiously every 5k. After replacing the cabin filter today I went to take my Prius for a drive and all of the sudden I received the "Check Hybrid System Stop The Vehicle In a Safe Place" come up along with my yellow warning triangle, loss of power steering and check engine light. I made sure all of the plugs were still connecting underneath the hood and everything seemed to be in order. When I would pump the gas the car would move and then stop and I could never get it in ready mode. Now the engine is unresponsive. All cabin lights and accessories seem to be working fine. I just had it towed to my Toyota dealership. Any ideas as to what occurred? I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to find out so I will keep you posted. Thanks for any input!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like the power transistors in the IPM in the inverter is toast. It'll be a warranty repair, but you'll be without your car for at least a few days, possibly longer. Hopefully, they'll provide you with a loaner.

#2 xliderider, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  3. cblanco

cblanco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks for your help! I just looked into the inverter and it seems they extended the warranty on that part due to trouble. Fortunately, I can walk to work and my wife has a honda civic we can drive. I wouldn't mind having a loaner though. We'll see what happens.

4. RightOnTime

RightOnTime Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Glad you caught the problem early!

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you get a recall notice for the inverter, have it done? Maybe 2013 already had that fix? (n)

Yeah should be warranty covered.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  6. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    E0E was announced Feb. 2014. So any earlier Gen 3 that has or hasn't had the re-flash has really had plenty of time to accumulate fatigue in those capacitor leads. Still, nice to see Toyota own it and push that warranty out to 15 years.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. CndNiN

CndNiN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    More than likely the IPM or the temp harness in the inverter are failing. Ive already changed like 7 of those guys out where we are when the warranty enhancement went through.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Smart wife, good bye Toyotas (y)