1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM STOP THE VEHICLE IN A SAFE PLACE"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Lizas, May 28, 2020.

1. Lizas

Lizas New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've looked through the posts here concerning "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM STOP THE VEHICLE IN A SAFE PLACE". But I'm not sure what may have happened today with my car when I picked it up from its oil change and tire rotation. Starting from the beginning, I dropped off my 2012 Prius apx 11 AM today, (5-27-2020) when I arrived to pick it up, apx 4:30 PM, while paying the clerk/tech said the Toyota Prius is unlike other toyotas, for resetting "the maintenance vehicle soon" warning. I said why is that, he stated that it took longer to reset it, that instead of the regular: order of placing in trip A and then the normal sequence, that this was different for my car. (This same business changes my oil every oil change , and I've owned it since 2016 have never had any of their techs advise of this issue until today) so I pay for my oil change $25.00 ( I supply my own 0-20 High Mileage Mobil Oil) and rotation is free since I purchased my tires from them. I get in the car and start it and that is when I get the "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM STOP THE VEHICLE IN A SAFE PLACE" message. I didn't drive I took a photo of the message and showed the tech. The mechanic/ shop foreman came in and said the code showed up when he was resetting the "the maintenance vehicle soon" warning for the oil change. He went to his truck and pulled out his code reader I had to be somewhere said I would be back by 6PM. Upon return he said only got a code of ( battery something...can't remember his exact words)and said when he moved the car back to the shop it stopped, and the hybrid battery was down to one skinny bar and in the car in the middle of the parking lot, he attempted to jump start. .. So I get back to the shop at this point. He is jumping from the correct location under the hood. He said the lights were on the whole time and thinks that ran down the battery, (typically my lights go off automatically if the car is off) but I said I do not believe the battery would be run down in this short of time and I believe it only comes off the 12V battery not the Hybrid battery. The car started, but the gas engine would not come on and the hybrid battery indicator stayed at the lowest almost nothing skinny line no charge. They removed the the charger cables and the car would not go into any position but park. When changing to drive the warning states " PUT THE CAR IN PARK TO START THE CAR" But it seemed to be started. i left and they were putting it in the garage for the night. Long story but wanted to say all that I could so not to cause too many questions. Any advise would be appreciated. ( 12 V battery is 1 year old and mileage is 140,000, 64 miles on almost full tank of gas) Thank you
    Update: 5-28-2020 Called shop and they advised they took 12 V battery out and charged it it is good. Hooked it back up, but code still there.