1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System Warning after Manifold Cleaning no Mini VCI

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by H2Oski17, Oct 24, 2020.

1. H2Oski17

H2Oski17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    (Longtime reader, first time poster)
    Thanks Prius Chat! Wanted to give it some credit because this forum helped me solve a "Check Hybrid System" warning.
    My 2011 Prius III just turned 100K so with AMPLE time on my hands due CV-19 I decided to tackle a few preventative maintenance items all at once: new spark plugs, drain/fill engine coolant, and also clean the entire EGR stream...even if it was 20K miles early...I have the time to do it now which is unusual.

I'm a DIY hobbyist on the level of oil changes, rotations, plugs, etc.The EGR cooler cleaning seemed at my limit...but decided to tackle it having watched the excellent videos by Nuts about Bolts.
    I went slow and actually enjoyed the challenge. It was extremely satisfying to clean the EGR cooler. I used the Easy-Off technique (multiple baths followed by poking a dog fence wire marker through). I got the cooler fully clean and shiny. Plugs came out and went in easy. Coolant drain fill was normal (I only did the engine coolant, not inverter...will do that around 150K). Reassembly of the entire EGR components seemed normal....I was very slow and methodical. I put in a new PCV Valve and used a new air intake gasket. Had no extra nuts/bolts at the end and I was feeling good/proud of my work.

However the moment of truth when I finally pushed the Start button....I got a Check Hybrid System warning at startup! ICE ran for about 30 secs and would die. Needless to say I retraced all my connections, plugs etc. Removed the negative terminal for 5 mins...no joy. Cycled the car Off to On 3-4 times. To say I was stressed is an understatement as my wife really didn't want me to mess with her car anyway!

I don't have a Mini VCI...so I was in the dark. I found a thread on Prius Chat with a similar situation confirming my sense: HAD TO BE SOMETHING I DID (OR OMITTED). Double, triple checked my work and connections. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...couldn't find it.

Being a Sat, I made an Dealer appt ($150 MINIMUM fee for diagnostic) for Monday and had a $140 tow lined up for Monday morning. Cursing myself, I gave it one last review as the sun was starting to set (car is unmovable in my driveway).....and I FINALLY found a black hose that I had neglected to re-connect to the Throttle Body. Fingers crossed, pushed the Start button...and started up nicely. Whew!

Quote from the 2.5yr old thread that I kept reviewing: "If something suddenly pops up after you worked on your car: It’s probably something YOU did. Retrace your steps and figure it out." I'm soooooo thankful I didn't have to pay for a tow and the dealership to figure it out!

Now...if anyone is still reading my longwinded post, here's my question: For $26.90 on Amazon I can get a Mini VCI J2534 cable and supporting software...LCDBYTFT New Version V15.00.028...is that what I need to scan for codes? I actually do have an old laptop that has Windows 7 and a CD tray that I think will work......Is that what I need or is there something else newer/better that I should get. (I should also mention that my daughter at college has a Gen2 Prius...would like to get scanner/software that are compatible with both if possible)

SO HAPPY I FOUND THE ISSUE!

2. H2Oski17

H2Oski17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tried to link the Mini VCI I'm considering below...is it correct for a 2011 Prius?
    If I want to replace the 9year old TPMS sensors will the below mini VCI allow me to program the new TPMS?