1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System, Won't start, and No codes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Domingo, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let me start by saying I have read pretty much every forum with this similar issue and am totally lost. Any help would be appreciated and treasured. I do all my own work, maybe until now, and I am dreading having to go to the dealership.

I have a 2011 Prius IV with 77k miles and drove it home from work fine like every other day. When going to work the next day, it would not start and displayed the Yellow light of death and Check Hybrid System. This isn't my first rodeo so I assumes it was the 12v battery and took it to Autozone to get replaced. They tested it and told my it's at 100% and basically brand new. Being cautious, I put it back in my car and attempted to jump start it with my other car with no success.

In maintenance mode, the voltage reads 11.5v which is odd and I know is a bad sign. I thought it should say at least 12.4v but even the jump start didn't work so I dont think its the battery.

Lastly, I used my 2 OBD2 scanners and both of them said there is no codes! Wth?! I cleared the code which came right back as I expected. The car won't start at all. When I do attempt to start it, there is a clicking from the 12v battery compartment which I am pretty sure is normal.

If I do have to take it into the dealership, do you think it would be covered in the warranty?

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    11.4 is effectively dead. But something might be dragging the voltage down too.

I suggest that you connect a charger and then see what happens.
    IF it takes less than a half hour to go from 11.4 to 12.6......then the battery is bad.
    That is with a small charger like most folks have.

IF.....it is the OEM battery, it is 6 or 7 years old and you might as well just replace it.

Battery testers don't always tell the whole story.

"IT" would only be covered by warranty if the problem is a component of the hybrid system.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need a code reader that can access Prius codes, there are for certain codes there if you have the Hybrid error message.

If you tried jump starting with another car and it won't start, then it probably isn't the battery. Maybe you'll be lucky and it ends up being the inverter and you get a new one under extended warranty?

4. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have two priuses (Prii?) and I just switched the batteries. Same result so I know it's not the battery. Is the inverter a common problem? I read about it but it did not seem a reoccurring problem.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually don't think it's an inverter problem, as you made it home and it won't start again. An inverter issue leaves you stranded while you're driving. But there is an extended warranty for this failure

No start issues usually starts with a bad battery, then on a botched jump start, fuses blow.

Did you by any chance touch the HV battery orange interlock? All details on what you touched would be important.

6. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know what that is and I did take a look at it after my car stopped working. I unlocked it, modded it a little bit, then put it right back in the locked position because I didn't want to mess anything up. Can I pull it out and put it back in? Will it damage something?

Edit: I pulled it out, looked at it them put it right back in and locked it. There were no signs of sulfur or damage so I don't think that is the issue. When I tried to start it, The ready light popped up for a half second then went away. I think a sensor is preventing the car from running. Thoughts?

7. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which fuses are you talking about? I know I didn't botch the jumpstart but I want to check them anyway. Thanks

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well you probably didn't lock it back into place. Once you flip the orange interlock, there's a final step to slide it to the side to lock it

9. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Itd
    Are you talking about the switch in the video link below? I just made it.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes that switch, you have to slide it to the right to lock it....Flipping it into place doesn't lock it

11. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you know which fuses would stop the car from starting?

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not your fuse it's the orange interlock switch that you mess with you just got to lock it in place

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did lock it into place. In the video I took it out, put it back in and locked it. It would not go in any further unless I hit it with a hammer. I made that video with the car in question so it would be clear. If the loud clicking was not the lock, then I do not know what is.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes it's locked sorry. Press the brake and start button twice?

15. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just tried it. I don't what it was supposed to do but I had hope for a minute. I can tell it wants to start because "Ready" shows for a half second then is replaced by the Red Triangle. I feel like a sensor it telling it not to start. Is that possible?

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Normally when the car doesn't start, you can reset it by disconnecting the 12v battery for a minute and then try again. It should start at least 1 time.

If that doesn't work, then you have a blown fuse. I don't know which fuses to check for on the gen 3.

17. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have disconnected the 12v many times. The error goes away but the car never starts. I will check all the fuses. This is going to take a while.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A common fuse on the gen 2 cars will be when an inverter pump gets shorted. I don't think that applies to gen 3.

I find it strange this happened after it parked in your house overnight. Maybe rats ate through a wire? Out of gas?

19. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All the fuses are good, both under the hood and under the dash. It has about half a tank of gas. In Seattle rats have never been a problem but I will look into it. Where is the inverter fuse typically?

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gen2, it's the am2 fuse in the engine compartment