1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check your Toyota Service Records

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gutsy, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Gutsy

Gutsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased a used 2008 Pkg 6 (my 2nd '08 Prius now) with 57,100 miles from a local reputable dealer about two months ago. The dealer indicated that the car needed to go to the Toyota dealer for the two recalls (gas petal and floor mat) and suggested that for piece of mind, I get a diagnostic done by the dealer before I purchased the car which I agreed to get for $79. The car came back from the dealer with the new petal and floor mat hook and with the paperwork showing that the diagnostic was completed.

There was a separate piece of paper for the "diagnostic" showing all the major components passed their tests. It had the mileage at 57,137 and the VIN number as well. The bill for the services was made out to the used car dealer with their store address indicating that the petal and floor mat item was provided and diagnostic services was provided and the cost of $79.

I read a post last week on the Technical Discussion board about Toyota's "Owners Online" service
    www.toyotaownersonline.com. The poster recommended that people should register their vehicles there and that they provided the service records online. I did that and I'm glad I registered because I was shocked to learn that the dealer confused my car with someone elses!

It showed the mileage (new) starting at 5 miles, then another record 12 miles (Inspection) 34,8446 (w/minor warranty work done) ... then on the day the used car dealer brought it there for the diagnostic, it showed the mileage as 20,609 (instead of 57,137). It also indicated that the car was brought in for a tire rotation, oil and filter change!!!

I decided to get a closer look at a copy of the Toyota Dealer's paperwork and invoice again. I noticed the VIN number wasn't mine, the Prius was a 2007 (instead of my 2008) and the mileage on the invoice showed 20,609, but it didn't mention that the oil/filter was replaced, and a tire rotation was done? Geez!

To make a long story short (I know this is already long) .. I went to the Service Manager at Toyota and he agreed there was a mix-up with another car. The VIN number of the car they noted on the invoice wasn't even owned by my used car dealer! They said the service records could not be changed because once the record is entered they have a 24 hour window to modify it before it's final.

He said he would make it right by providing me with a new entry on my service record indicating that the mileage was incorrect and that the correct mileage based on the separate Diagnostic paperwork sheet. The VIN and mileage information for the "diagnostic" is taken from the computer data in the car, which proved that the mileage was correct for my vehicle on that date at the time.

I just logged on the Toyota site to see if this showed up yet in my service records and it didn't yet. I'll be checking again tomorrow.

Moral of the story: Always take a close look at the paperwork after servicing your car at "any" dealer. Make sure the VIN is yours and the mileage is correct ... within that 24 hour window! Hopefully when I sell the car someday, someone won't think I rolled back the mileage to 20, 609 or think this story is too strange to consider purchasing the car form me!!

I love our 08's! My wife drives hers to work and is currently getting 54 to 55 per gallon and I'm getting close to 54 MPG. Who could ask for more? ... except for accurate service reporting by my Toyota dealer!!

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At least your case was a mix-up. A dealership I went to didn't put the right oil in my car (I brought my own) even though I made them write "customer brought own oil" on the service sheet in big letters. Another member here reportedly had his dealer basically fake the alignment they supposedly did on his car.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes it is a good idea to use toyotaownersonline.com to keep service records. So far the two dealers I have used have been entering service data promptly and accurately. I also make a local copy of the records just in case. Somehow the Honda dealer I use for another car does not bother to enter the service data in the Honda equivalent of owner's online account.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's not too horrible for a dealer, but when it happens in the hospital...:eek:

5. jstraw20

jstraw20 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a feeling my car's previous owner might be a Priuschat member. I pulled up the records for my car and found that the important stuff was done without all the dealership fluff. The only extra thing was an early replacement of the PCV valve, nice to know I won't have to worry about it for a long time.