1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check your tyre pressure!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now I know most of you check your tyre pressure religiously but I thought I'd throw it out in case some of you don't or just need a quick reminder.

It's amazing how the service techs (generalizing I know... but no harm Galaxee :) ) make assumptions about tyre pressure.

"Oh it's the same tyre size as the Corolla, so we put 30 psi" Err.. no? It's about 200kg heavier.

Yeah so I'm running on 30 psi.. ugh. I'll pump it back up to 38/36 when it has cooled down.

Also, because the weather's getting cooler, your tyre pressure does drop too!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are always two things I check after the dealer services the car, tire pressure and oil level. They never get the tire pressure correct, and more than once they have overfilled the engine oil.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They've only done it once with regards to the oil but ALWAYS lower the tyre pressure. I mean.. it's not even 35/33!

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i certainly hope nobody can find a quote of mine where i say all techs are geniuses. :p

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 9 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]537368[/snapback]</div>
    hehe.. just yours :D (And I'm sure the rest of the PC community will agree)

6. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I totally agree with you.

When I took delivery of my Prii about one month ago, the first thing I did was to check tire pressure and oil level. All four tires were at 27 psi :( and my oil level was almost 1/2 quart overfilled :eek: .

I've always wanted to stay away from new cars because of the service that must be done at the dealer if something happens. I'm always really disappointed that the mechanics know so little even about their own products.

I work as a computer consultant and cars are my hobby. Still, I probably know a lot more things about cars than most of the mechanics I've met. :rolleyes:

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks, tideland :D

we like new cars because we know nobody's done something stupid to them yet ;) or cars so old they're really cheap and make for a fun project restoration. (ie, our non-prius)

you don't HAVE to go to the dealer, SyCo. plenty of other options out there.

8. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 9 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]537514[/snapback]</div>
    Does anyone know what tire pressure trigger the warning light?

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ Nov 9 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]537524[/snapback]</div>
    I believe -25% from the set value.

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I picked up my new Prius, the tire pressures were something like 27 on the left and 35 on the right. Fortunately I checked it before the 100 mile drive home.