1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Checked engine light on /off by itself.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ratanakly, Sep 5, 2021.

1. ratanakly

ratanakly New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello everyone,
    Today i have something to share you about my experience on my prius 2010 checked engine lights on and off by itself. The lights are Yellow triangle, Brake, ABS, PCS, ... after had got the lights on, i was driving for about 30km and stop for gasoline refill then continued driving about 50km more until the lights off suddenly by itself.
    I am wondering, do you know what happened? 20210905_142615.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is usually related to the gas vapor recovery system. the gas cap might be faulty, keep an eye on it if the light comes back.
    also, check your oil level

there may be a trouble code set if you have tech stream

#2 bisco, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Whether it's Techstream or some other device, it is always good to have a way to read the diagnostic codes when your car's warning lights come on, so that you can find out why. People on PriusChat can try to guess from hundreds of miles away, but it's just not the same.

4. ratanakly

ratanakly New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    After using ODB scanning, there are two code have been confirmed. P0A80 is permanent and C1391, it prefer to ABS changing right . Screenshot_20210912-211507_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most definitely

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Replace hybrid battery pack? Dang…

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid pack and abs actuator. That’s to bad both are expensive and difficult to repair.
    Brake pedal bad too and does it go ding ding ding like g2?

ratanakly likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does the car have a history of any work done on the traction battery?

When the P0A80 is shown as 'permanent', not as current or confirmed, it can be a remembered code from a past battery issue that was repaired.

Permanent codes sometimes stick around for a while. They are not affected by code-clear commands; they only go away when the ECU in question gets convinced from its own monitor testing that the condition is fixed.

The repair manual gives very clear descriptions, for all of the ECM permanent codes, exactly what "confirmation driving pattern" needs to be driven to make the code go away, and there's a Techstream monitor-checking utility to help see when the conditions have been met. But P0A80 isnt an ECM code, it's detected by the battery smart unit and set in the power management control ECU, and there's just not as much information or Techstream support for those.

There is a P0A80 confirmation pattern in the manual, which involves doing a code clear, making a universal trip, then waiting in neutral for the battery SoC to drop to 30%. But I've seen some threads where people were sure they got all those steps right and still the permanent code was there.

ratanakly likes this.
  9. ratanakly

ratanakly New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The warning lights of code C1391 have been disappeared this morning and every brakes are normally , i may take it to get inspection as soon as possible.

P0A80, i had replaced one block (2 cells) of hybrid battery since i got the code previously and there is no any warning lights have come right now.

Thank everyone for your comments, i am going to keep you in posted.

Mendel Leisk likes this.