1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Checklist for newb buying a used Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dureel, Aug 8, 2011.

1. dureel

dureel New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to look at a used Prius that I found on Craiglist. Can you recommend a few things to check out? I am also planning to bring the car to a mechanic for inspection, but I'd like to check some things myself. Do know where I can find a labeled diagram of what's under the hood of the Gen II? (only could find one for Gen III)

Will the air filter be easily removable?
    Is rust really bad?
    Also, I read that I should check the radiator hose, overflow jar, and oil filler cap, where are these located?

Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2005:

Does it have smart key? Do the smart key functions work? Does it have more than 1 key?
    Did the owner have the inverter cooling pump recall performed?
    If it has HID headlights, turn them on and make sure that they don't go out after 10 minutes.
    Also, run A/C for 10 minutes to make sure that it is continuously blowing cold air.
    Check for pink residue underneath the engine water pump.
    There is no transmission/transaxle dipstick. Unless the owner has done it recently, plan on having the transaxle fluid changed.
    12V battery is a point of weakness. If it has the original 12V battery, replace it.
    There is no timing belt. There is a belt that runs the engine water pump.

1 person likes this.
  3. dureel

dureel New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is very helpful, thank you. Can anyone tell me if rust is a big deal? Only on certain areas?