1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chemistry of Flint Water Crisis

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by wjtracy, Feb 16, 2016.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty good summary of chemistry of Flint. Normally in Flint situation would like to hold water pH basic say 9 pH but Flint pH trended down to 7.5 or so (more corrosive). This then leads to problems such as exposed iron which among other things may pull-out added chlorine disinfectant and of course increase lead (Pb).

How Lead Ended Up In Flint’s Tap Water | February 15, 2016 Issue - Vol. 94 Issue 7 | Chemical & Engineering News

NOT trying to discuss who was at fault in this thread.

2. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the share--great read! It takes me back to my water sampling days. It also makes me glad to be on a well (although problems can certainly occur there too).

It's amazing just how badly water wants to have things dissolved in it. I was talking with the one who serviced the RO system at work and he was always surprised by how many people drink distilled water for touted health benefits. Distilled water (free from dissolved metals and minerals) is very "hungry" for any metals and minerals it can dissolve--it strips out crucial minerals and trace metals in the body when consumed.

It sure has taken us quite a while to learn about the interactions between liquids and metals. I like the story about the toxic tomatoes. There was a time when tomatoes were thought to be toxic because those who ate them were getting ill. It turns out that it was a result of the lead that leached from the pewter dishes due to the acidity of the tomatoes.

Water chemistry sure is a complex science. It's fascinating what steps are taken with treatment of both drinking water a waste water.

#2 tanglefoot, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    ftl and bwilson4web like this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Do not trust your government when they say the brown water is safe to drink. Make them drink it.

My brother was down here for a conference a couple of weeks ago, and they were talking about water treatment, and of course the gross incompetence here, not only in creating the problem, but telling people it was safe.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Accessible, accurate science. Always worth a like. A rather small proportion of journals actually put effort into this aspect of science communication.

Aviation fuelers (drive the trucks) are exposed to 100LL on a daily basis. LL stands for low lead (as you'd guess) but it really is quite high. I think it would be interesting to study their 'chemistry'. Offer free haircuts and sweep up the trimmings.