1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheney Suppressed Evidence in California Energy Crisis

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wiyosaya, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Assuming that the information in this article is based on factual information, all Americans should be upset about this and demand Cheney be held accountable.

Full article

Thanks to this site

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    By Jason Leopold from Truthout. The man who claimed Karl Rove had been indicted about a year ago. Kept on insisting it happened even after it was plainly evident it had not.

I wouldn't believe any story reported only by Jason Leopold and Truthout. If there is even a shred of truth to it, it will be picked up by reputable news organizations, or even slightly disreputable news organizations. I'd wait 'til then.

Oh my goodness. I just checked out the site where you found the Truthout article link. Two articles on research into generating free energy from pyramids. I'm not sure I would look to that site as a source of reliable news.

3. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 23 2007, 09:13 AM) [snapback]483596[/snapback]</div>
    Everyone here knows that the Bush/Cheney/Palpatine/Voldemort oil cartel is supressing free pyramid energy to boost oil profits at the expense of the environment! Do you hate the planet? Is that why you're helping keep this valuable resource a secret?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jul 23 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]483637[/snapback]</div>
    We were building an energy generating pyramid in our back yard, but before we could bring it on line, federal agents arrived and seized it, removing all supporting evidence. I'm really bummed because we were planning on using the revenue it generated to fund our retirement. It looks like I'm going to have to invest in mileage improving fuel line magnets instead. :rolleyes:

Tom

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jul , 10:26 AM)</div>
    Gasp!

6. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Jul 23 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]483590[/snapback]</div>
    People should be outraged even if the article isnt totally accurate.
    The fact that the Bush administration allowed the energy companies to manipulate the Ca market and refused to cap prices is indisputable and in itself is an outrage.
    Heres some of my own fantasy.The 2003 power grid outage in the Northeast was caused by a plant in Ohio .Cheney met a few weeks prior to the outage with the plants owner who was a Bush supporter.The outtage occured a few weeks before pending Energy bill legislation in Congress.Tell me that doesnt smell like manipulation.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I recall, lots of folks in CA, at the time, believed that the federal administration --in response to California's liberal leaning tendencies-- collaborated with energy producers to exacerbate the 'crisis.'

This, in part, led to the ouster of the Governor and installation of the Governator (and a number of other smaller conservative victories).

At the time, conservatives denied anything of the sort.

Looks like the rest of us might have been right, all along.

Why am I not at all surprised?

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Jul 23 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]483651[/snapback]</div>
    You should note that the California Energy Crisis began in May, 2000, before Bush was even nominated as the Republican canidate for President. Davis declared a state of emergency several days before Bush was inaugurated at the end of January, 2001. Plenty of blackouts had already occurred at that point, along with skyrocketing prices, which is why, after all, Davis declared a state of emergency. (again, before Bush was inaugurated, ie. while Clinton was still in office) The crisis was pretty much over by June, 2001.

But of course, it was all Bush's fault.

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 23 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]483685[/snapback]</div>
    Well it was the Republican philosophy of deregulation which caused the mess.It was deregulated under Pete Wilson.
    But it was the Bush administration who allowed the Texas energy companies to reap the spoils without FERC intervention.He was president while the actual manipulation occurred.How is he not responsible ,when he could have taken action and took no action?

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, let's play it your way.

Since you're all about absolutes, I'll frame it in a manner which you might respond to.

Would you assert that Mr. Bush and his administration *in no way* manipulated the CA energy crisis for political gain?

----

I'm only doing what you did to me. I NEVER suggested that it was "all Bush's fault."

11. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 23 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]483685[/snapback]</div>
    Of course it was all Bush's fault. This is FHOP, and in this world, everything is Bush/Cheney/Republican/Conservative's fault. Nothing just happens, either through incompetence or random chance. It is all a conspiracy by the Evil One.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It started with our Republican governor Pete Wilson. Gray Davis inherited his mismanagement and couldn't get out of it. Davis was forced by the republicans in the state into the contracts that resulted in the obscene price spikes after Wilson's deregulation fiasco. We don't know the extent Enron and others had in the manipulation but we KNOW it took place. There are documents that show energy execs conspiring to manipulate the market through faking a supply shortage. I've talked to SDG&E reps. SDG&E used to generate their own power. When deregulation hit they were forced to sell all of their energy generation stuff. Now they are forced to buy from suppliers that charge more than it would have cost if SDG&E had been allowed to keep their stuff.

The mess will probably never be fully revealed. But do I think the current administration is involved? Yes. From before they were in office. They may not have masterminded it. But they never did anything to help and have done everything to hinder.

I even recall a quote of Bush's about how he wasn't going to do anything to help California because they didn't vote for him.

So no, he's never been my president. By his own choice.

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Jul 23 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]483725[/snapback]</div>
    I'll grant you the high likelihood of incompetence.

I'd suggest that *both* parties engage in this sort of behaviour...which makes your defense of *either* that much more transparent.

14. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 23 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]483742[/snapback]</div>
    I don't defend either/any party. In my book, there isn't a lick of difference between them, just different advertising. However, it gets old reading the same "wah, wah... Everything is Bush's fault... wah, wah" topics that go on and on here. Just because I may criticze your argument doesn't mean I support the opposite side.

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Typical, accusations fly yet not a shred of evidence. <_<

Wildkow

p.s. BDS strikes again.

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Jul 23 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]483750[/snapback]</div>
    The same goes for me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jul 23 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]483802[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think that's entirely true. "Not a shred of evidence"? Not an accurate assessment.

17. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Bush didnt cause the crisis.Enron caused Bush.
    Enron was one of Bush/ Cheneys biggest backers.They needed him in office in order to fully implement their plan.When the federal government was out of their way, they didnt waste any time.

"Enron also pumped an estimated $2 million into the Bush-Cheney campaign. Bush
    regularly flew from one campaign stop to another aboard Enron jets. Enron was so
    determined to put Bush in the White House that they sent their top lawyer, former
    Secretary of State James A. Baker III, to Florida to orchestrate the stealing of the 2000
    presidential election.
    “Baker was on the Enron payroll,†McDonald said. “When Bush senior lost his
    reelection bid in 1992, Lay scooped up both Baker and Commerce Secretary Robert
    Mosbacher as Enron ‘consultants.’"

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 23 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]483731[/snapback]</div>
    OH REALLY . . . Grow a clue Godiva! :p </span> :rolleyes:

J. Stephen "Steve" (Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!) Peace, Democratic.
    Peace was known as one of the brightest and most politically savvy senators in Sacramento. He wrote the electricity deregulation bill that many believed resulted in the California electricity crisis of 2000 and 2001. The "Steve Peace Death March", as it was known, caused many legislators to switch their votes to support deregulation, and he took credit for being "the father of deregulation".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Peace
    The deregulation of the California energy market was supported by a unanimous vote from both parties in the California legislature and signed into law by then-Governor Pete Wilson in 1996. Then-state senator Steve Peace was the chair of the energy committee and the author of the bill that caused deregulation, and is often credited as "the father of deregulation". Wilson admitted publicly that defects in the deregulation system would need fixing by "the next governor".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_energy_crisis

ALTHOUGH WARNED, DAVIS DIDN'T FIX IT!! HE MADE IT WORSE!!!!
    "Gov. Gray Davis was slow to respond to the economic realities of California's power crisis despite warning signals from legislators, regulators and utility executives stretching back to last summer.
    Indeed, documents and interviews with industry insiders, regulators and lawmakers show Davis may have contributed to the meltdown of the state's two largest electric utilities by neglecting a repeatedly suggested strategy for stabilizing wholesale prices."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file...04/MN184122.DTL

So let's see: It was a unanimous vote of both parties of the legislature, the bill was written and "Death Marched" by Democrat Steve Peace. Governor Pete Wilson signed it. (Even if Wilson vetoed the bill, it would have been overridden.) And later, Governor Grey Davis "contributed to the meltdown."

So, according to Godiva, "It's "Wilson's deregulation fiasco." :eek: :huh:
    Why?
    Because he is a Republican??? :huh:
    Even though he warned there were parts of the bill which needed to be fixed by "the next governor." (Gray Davis) ????
    How politically myopic to call it Wilson's fiasco. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is both Wilson and Peace were politicians from San Diego . . . the area which took the hardest hit from the fiasco. :lol:

<div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 23 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]483731[/snapback]</div><div class=\'quotemain\'>I've talked to SDG&E reps. SDG&E used to generate their own power. When deregulation hit they were forced to sell all of their energy generation stuff. Now they are forced to buy from suppliers that charge more than it would have cost if SDG&E had been allowed to keep their stuff.v[/b][/quote]Is this the same San Diego Gas & Electric who along with Southern California Edison and Pacific Gas & Electric <span style="color:#009900"> " . . . spent $4.3 million on lobbyists and $1 million on political campaigns in their efforts to encourage deregulation."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sh...a/timeline.html

Yep . . . SDG&E representatives. NOW THERE IS A SOURCE FOR UNBIASED TRUTH! :blink: :lol:
    Poor guys . . . they got what they asked paid for.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 23 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]483731[/snapback]</div>
    You seem to recall a lot. Unfortunately most of it seems to be highly biased, unsubstantiated, crap! <_<

19. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Be careful !!! If you work for the CIA they may rat you out ! :p

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 23 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]483813[/snapback]</div>
    There you have it: the evidence was probably shredded! :p

Tom