1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevron's willyoujoinus.com

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by naterprius, Jul 5, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This ad campaign and website is really odd. I'm not quite sure what their motivation is, but it's worth looking at.

http://www.willyoujoinus.com

Nate

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I'm of two minds.

The optimistic mind thinks, someone at the top at Chevron can see the writing on the wall, and has decided to try to get people to confront it -- one way or another.

The pessimistic/cynical mind thinks, someone at the top of Chevron is worried that they're going to get negative backlash from price gouging on fuel prices, and has decided to perform a makeover on themselves to look like the concerned guys.

Heck, maybe its both. Most of the issues I read on their website are valid ones. However, they are also saying "Everyone (i.e., you) need to work to fix this." They're right, of course; but it feels a bit like they're sluffing off their portion of responsibility.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Einstein said, "You cannot solve a problem using the same process that caused the problem." Chevron is "muddling toward frugality," not taking advantage of constructive alternatives already established and underway by the Rocky Mountain Institute (www.rmi.org), BP and Munich Re (Germany).

As frequently discussed here on Priuschat, a large portion of answers is to be found in "distributed" power production (vs. centralized production) - renewables such as wind, water and solar.

A big problem for Chevron is that we will be able to plug-in at home, take advantage of our own roof top photovoltaic panels tied to the grid and essentially by-pass Chevron and other fossil fuel purveyors for our day-to-day needs. Will we still need oil? Of course (tires, pharmaceuticals, plastics), we just won't spend most of it in the transportation sector as we presently do.

No more need for Chevron "Techron" or other additives that turn clean air into particulates, nitrous and sulfur dioxides. The paradigm has shifted and Chevron does not want to be left behind.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:073045d1ba]The dino miners see that their days are numbered, and like the fuel they extract, they will soon be fossils, too. I find it ironic that Chevron trumpets:[/font:073045d1ba]

[font=Arial:073045d1ba]The only energy we have in abundance: Human energyâ„¢.[/font:073045d1ba]

[font=Comic Sans MS:073045d1ba] Do you notice that they are trying to trademark "Human energy"? They can't have mine.[/font:073045d1ba]

5. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"104303)</div>
    Call me a cynic then because I agree with the foregoing assessment. I believe it's nothing other than a preemptive strike. If and when gas prices hit 3 bucks per gallon and appear as if the top is nowhere in sight, Chevron will be able to say, "See, we warned you about this months ago, [you]".

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:302a617a65]Tag, ]you[ are it![/font:302a617a65]