1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Impala no cupholders?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by eak354, Jul 12, 2006.

1. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just came back from vacation in Maui and the car i was able to rent was the Chevy Impala. Being used to having abundance of cupholders in the Prius, we found NONE in the Impala. If there was one, we didn't find it, and if so, why hide it? even the rear passengers had no cupholders. i guess whoever designed it forgot about it. don't get me wrong, i was impressed by the trunk capacity, we were able to fit 3 Large suitcases plus our other carry-ons. ok not having cupholders isn't the end of the world, but being on vacation and taking long drives makes it convenient. heck even a bicycle can have a cupholder! :p

oh, and we drove around 350miles, filled-up around 28 gallons at $3.63/gallon... i so missed my prius... sigh! :rolleyes:

2. kDB

kDB New Member

according to chevrolet.com, though i don't know where they are.

Cup holders
    dual front and rear (dual front only on LS and LT)

it actually doesn't surprise me that you couldn't find them. gm kinda just throws them in anywhere on their sport cars.

3. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Jul 12 2006, 07:37 AM) [snapback]284877[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, GM has no concept of cupholders and where they should go but I disagree that the Impala is a sports car.... The Corvette is a sports car and the Monte and Impalas are sedans.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh man, nothing annoys me more than when things are ill-placed.

There is a radius of arm movement that is comfortable and allows the driver to reach for things withount contorting and/or taking their eyes off the road. When the cup-holders or console or anything is at an awkward position, it's just uncomfortable and in my opinion dangerous.

Though I can't remember what car it was, I drove a rental in which I could not put the cup of coffee back into the cupholder once I had put the car in drive. The cupholders were directly behind the center-concole-mounted shifter and with the shifter in position, it covered the holders. :blink:

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Found them:

6. wstander

wstander New Member

cupholders: a device invented by some evil person who really hates driving.

Sheesh, have you noticed that since the 1990s or so, the true measure of a motorcar is the number and placement of cupholders?

John: Hey George, nice car, what mileage and what kind of engine is that?

George: I do not know, I bought it 'because its got really big and handy cupholders! Even my dog gets a water bowl holder...

<back on my meds now>

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    GM seems to be all over the place w/cupholders.

Strange that they picked an odd location for the Impala's cupholders. I recall that my dad's 80 Chevette and my mom's 78 Malibu Classic had none. I think our 86 Olds Cutlass Ciera had none yet the minivans at http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...articleId=44218 had 17!

8. kDB

kDB New Member

i agree. an impala isn't a sports car in my eyes, but it is in gm's. it's like a sports sedan, big enough for the family, but powerful enough for the middle aged man. which is my belief as to one of the reasons why gm is failing, making every car for everyone.

btw. my 70 impala, none. the 88 firebird i used to have, none (didn't even have a glovebox).

9. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Jul 13 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]285550[/snapback]</div>
    It is a slow POS in my opinion. GM probably put the same amount of time into classifying the vehicle as they did in determining the cupholder placement. I took a new Monte SS to the track last year and all I could get out of it were low 16s in the quarter mile.

10. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jul 13 2006, 02:50 AM) [snapback]285532[/snapback]</div>
    One of the best cupholders I ever saw was on a Buick LeSabre: You pushed on a spring loaded area on the center armrest, and a gimbal mounted loop came out. As long as the cup was tapered, it would fit and the gimbal kept it level.

11. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    love the word usage of gimbal. reminds me of battlestar galactica

12. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

The saturn sky has them come out of the wall behind the seats (2 seater) but it is so inconvenient because you have to crane your hand back, to get a cup in there and if you have a manual, your elbow folds the holders back into the car (they fold out). My friend's dad just bought the Sky, it's sweet but the interrior has such a barebones design, I feel like my 20 yuear old Rx-7 has more features.

13. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've been renting Impalas on and off for a year. The cupholders - 2 in front - are deployed by flipping down the front part of the center console - sometimes by actually opening the console to get at them. I believe there are at least 2 in the rear - also hidden until you need them. They are actually very good - with rubber fingers inside to prevent rattling as you drive (Toyota - read this).

14. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My dad's '89 Bronco had the worst cupholders I've had the displeasure of experiencing. There were 2 of 'em in between the front seats in the raised center console area between the seats. They were perhaps 2 inches deep. There were many times where I'd go through a drive-thru and put my drink in there, forgetting how shallow the 'cup holders' were, and drive off, only to have my drink tip over & begin to spill before I could catch it. :rolleyes: Also had to hold onto drinks when making any sort of turn, now matter how slowly because of potential for cup tippage.

Here's a decent picture (not mine) of what they looked like:
    [​IMG]

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice... a fire extinguisher.

16. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flareak @ Jul 14 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]286615[/snapback]</div>

It ISa fun word, isn't it :)

Try this:

I was gamboling about in my gabardine suit, sipping a gimlet from a gimballed cart.

17. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 18 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]288254[/snapback]</div>
    Funny, I just noticed that myself...my dad used to keep one in his Bronco as well. Wonder if there was a reason?? :lol:

18. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 18 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]288244[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry guys (and gals). The worst cupholders of any car ever made were in ANY BMW before 2004. The Germans are very serious about driving. " If you are driving you will not be eating!" As a result cupholders for American models were about 3/4 inch deep and any cup would be guaranteed to flip out in a turn - even at 10mph.

19. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Jul 18 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]288358[/snapback]</div>
    My rx-7s are worse. Mazda put these 1/2 cm deep rings in the door of the glove box in case you were parked at a drive in movie or resturaunt. It is the same pholosophy, if you are driving, you shouldn't have a drink.