1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevy Volt Deathwatch - DOE puts funds on hold

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Chevy Volt Deathwatch continues... today we've found out via Automotive News that the Department of Energy has put a hold on the $10.3 billion in taxpayer money I told you about a couple of weeks ago that GM requested in order to finish the Volt and its underlying technology. The money is being held up due to GM's inability to pass a "financial viability test in order to simply survive." And so the Chevy Volt Deathwatch continues...

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That can't be right. I have coworkers who insist that the Volt is real and will be produced and will save the world.

3. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Surely if GM dies, the Volt technology will be taken over by someone else. It's too far along to abandon.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I said a while back that they should have at least 1 Asian and 1 European partner in developing this in order to save research and development costs. And the even sadder part they already had this technology less then 10 years ago.

5. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $10 Billion for the Volt!!!! Why not instead give a few Billion to Toyota to build Priuses in the USA. Or better yet, why not license the Prius technolgy for $10 Billion and build an Americanized version in the USA at a few of the shuttered GM plants?

6. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    10 billion? Tesla developed TWO electric cars for less then one tenth that, and they are already building one of them!

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Good point. I had to repeat it to myself.....10 BILLION.

Now it's starting to sink in.

8. jeffreykb

jeffreykb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Probably 9 billion plus for fuel cell tech...and the rest for EREV (Volt).

9. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is an absurd amount of cash. I honestly don't see how R & D can possibly cost that much for any car, let alone one that has already been engineered by other companies. Where exactly would all this cash flow go to, I wonder? For reference, ExxonMobil's entire proposed capital budget for 2009 is $29B, and they operate one of the largest companies in the world in one of the most capital intensive industries, so I don't see how developing the Volt could possibly cost $10B.

10. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, in the late 90's, GM comes out with the EV-1, teases customers with lease units for a few years, pulls them back in, crushes all of them, then they squander the technology and do nothing with it ...

meanwhile, Toyota capitalizes on the battery improvements resulting from the EV-1, produces the Prius which dominates sales of every other HEV.

Last Summer, we get GM bragging, during the Olympics commercials about the Chevy Volt, coming in only 2 years ... yayyyy! :rolleyes:

Is GM in business to perform experiments or to 'Move Forward' producing cars?

12. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Stop your question right there...

It's an ironically sad ending to GM, who would otherwise have dominated the world market had they not made such stupid decisions regarding the EV1.

13. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Y'all upset about 10 billion? Anyone tell y'all about the few TRILLION we gonna be in debt in a few short years? ;)

14. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am not referring to the political aspects of the money, but rather the inefficient engineering and production required to spend $10B in capital to develop and produce one model of vehicle. Seems like the wheel is being reinvented when a prius with an aftermarket battery kit can essentially provide the same features as the proposed volt. $10B would buy all GM common stock several times over.

15. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And for about half the price. Better yet - replace the aftermarket battery with a 100 pound factory (Toyota) installed 5Kw-hr lithium battery for a 75mpg plug-in using technology available pretty much today.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry, but i see no real reason for any company to pick up the technology. its one of several ways to get to where they are going and its pretty obviously not the best way. let it die. they had their chance. there are tens of millions of workers right now making major sacrifices on the job with cuts in pay and benefits. there is no reason whatsoever that gm should continue on as they have

17. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas (Don Meredith, I believe).

If GM was serious about the volt, why didn't they just go out and buy a company like Tesla? Seems that would speed things along and put them closer to the front, where they've claimed they wanted to be. Probably too late now, but I can't imagine the price being anywhere near $10 billion.

18. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, Dubya and the GOP already added 4 trillion over the past 8 years (reversing the debt reduction that preceded him). And they left us a legacy of trillions more in debt to reverse their foul ups.

Folks like me predicted this back in 2000. I had hoped I might be wrong.

19. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Adding a $10k Hymotion battery unit leaves the Prius (base $22k) at half the price of a Volt?

.5 x $40,000 = $20,000

$22,000 (base Prius) + $10,000 (Hymotion battery) = $32,000

$32,000 =/= .5($40,000)

Even with the Hymotion battery, you can't do freeway speeds without the engine being used (at least most/some of the time).

The Volt's method of operation is superior, IMHO. The cost is the primary factor that will differentiate it. Cost of operation is also a factor. Right now, my cost of operation would be very close to what I spend on gas with the Prius. If/when gas prices go higher and my utility rates stay the same, the comparison will shift.

With the current administration racking up $10-12 trillion in it's first four months and gambling on a better economy to foot the bill... I shudder to think about what 8 years would be like.

I also have plenty of evidence of warning about the clusterf*** of the housing bubble bursting well before Bush took office, and even during his administration that was shouted down by the likes of Barney Frank (there is no pwobwem!). There's plenty of blame to spread around, but that's a different discussion.

I will, however, continually posit that trying to spend our way out of our problems is like Churchill said - standing in a bucket and trying to lift ourselves up by the handle.