1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chicago Commuting Hypermiling Routes?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by douglas001001, Mar 16, 2007.

1. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello chicagoland prius owners!

I drive from west town (chicago/ashland) to schaumburg everyday usually taking 290 all the way out getting on 290 at paulina then exiting at biesterfield to the frontage road.

Has anyone driving a similiar route found a good 'hypermiling' route?

I have a 'keep tahoe blue' sticker on the hatch of my seaside pearl '07 touring, please wave if you see me!

My first tank was 45.2 mfd, 44.4 tank fill. Current tank at 53.2 (60 miles mfd), i'm getting the hang of it.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey, Douglas.
    Do I have you on the mailing list for the ChicagoPriusGroup yet? You can provide me with your email address on March 25th at the Streets of Woodfield in Schaumberg. Either check other threads about it or check out the Events page of the ChicagoPriusGroup website (link in my sig).

Now, as for your route:
    I'm originally from Indiana and currently live far-North. But I do know that whatever route you take, you can count on doubling your travel time. At least. Granted, I'm just guessing, but with ground-level roads and stop signs, I can't imagine that it'll be as fast as 290.

I don't know the traffic patterns, but off the top of my (GoogleMap) head, it looks like
    1) Chicago westbound to Lake north-west
    2) Lake north-westbound to E. North west
    3) E North westbound to Villa northbound
    4) Villa northbound to Lake (again) north-west
    5) Lake north-westbound to Rohlwing north

If it's possible to stay on Lake rather than getting onto North and then Villa, I would suggest trying that. But by the map, I'm not sure it's possible.

Here's a map I've drawn up.
    Good luck!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Since your do this trip during the week how about coming out next Sunday as well Chicago Prius Meet-up. Actually you could get upwards of 60MPG during the summer on your current route if you slowed down a bit...and risked your life.

An alternate could be to take Grand Ave. west to River Rd. north to Irving Park Rd. west to your choice of Wood Dale Rd. or Prospect Rd. north to Biesterfield Rd. It seems for at least the city part it would be a reverse commute so traffic would be lighter. Do leave earlier if you try it, could take longer, especially if you try to P&G some of River and Irving Park.

Wayne

4. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good ideas, I think I've been on most of those roads at one time or another. I should be able to get a better route between 290 and surface roads and get mpg higher.

I think with my first tank I was trying to EV too much in the slow zone between mannheim/austin on 290. Going 55 on 290 is a death wish, but gives good drafting opportunities for the brave.

I'm scheduled to be in milwaukee that weekend or I would be at the group meeting. If it doesn't go down I'll be there. Count me in for the one after that. I'll pm with my email address.

I'm at 52.4 for second tank 130 miles, I went for a joy ride up and down lake shore drive tonight. Had two 75+ segments p&g between 30 and 40.

I wonder what I'll get with practice and after the break-in period is done and after I get the scan gauge installed to keep rpms in the sweet spot?

Lovin' every minute behind the wheel. :)

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Douglas,

You probably know some of this already, if you have tried that route. Rowling south of Thorndale/Elgin-Ohare expressway is misrable. It can take 20 minutes to get from Thorndale to Lake. Not even good Prius conditions.

Also, Lake was underconstruction east of old Route 53 (Rowling) few months ago. I doubt its done.

Have you tried taking Thorndale to 83, and South ? On Thorndale at least, its a reverse commute, the limit is 45, and with any traffic at all, its a good slow-and-go road. Its also a slight downhill to the east.

I would NEVER take North Avenue during rush hour for ANYTHING. Maybe its changed, but it was Hell a few years ago when I tried a route that way.

Also, new Route 53/290 is kinda good slow and go (30 to 40 mph stealthing) between Thorndale and I 290 split. Stay in the slow lane from Schaumburg south, get into the slow and go portion, exit onto 290 South, and then get off at 83 ? Might work.

Had a new Seaside Pearl in front of me down 355 today. He was driving somewhat agressively, and got about 1/2 mile ahead on 355. But when we exited and were on the surface streets, I pulled up behind/beside him each time at the lights and stop signs. After 20 miles of driving, it just did not pay to waste the gas when its the traffic and lights that define how fast you will proceed.

Have 54.6 mpg at 350 miles on the tank. But I have extended 65 mph cruise on 355. Your destinations might yield better results.

1 person likes this.
  6. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Apr 2 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]416748[/snapback]</div>

I've been playing around with different routes, but I haven't found one yet where it makes the extra 30-45 minutes seem worth it. I'll get 10-15 minutes of 90+ then the rest in the 50s.

West bound:
    I like lake between 290 and rohlwing (rohlwing isn't bad in am rush going north, but is uphill for part), then rohlwing after thorndale is good

East bound:

I sometimes take rohlwing to irving park to wood dale/addison to lake going east. I'm not good above 40 mph yet, so thorndale didn't produce good results for me the couple of times I've taken it.

I like Lake street between 290 and 25th, then I head back to 290. Sometimes this is backed up at mannheim/25th so it isn't 'great' on those days.

North avenue until austin from 290 (then the rest isn't worth it) so I prefer lake to 25th. the ~10 times I've done this I can 90+ the bars for the 15 mins until austin. North from austin in is horribly slow.

I'm going to experiment with higgins road heading east and then trying to find a way around the kennedy in the next month or so, anyone have routes to avoid the kennedy heading in?

First tank 45.2
    second tank: 53.3
    third tank: 59.2

So I'm getting better! (yes I know that the majority of it is probably better temps but I sure feel good about it)

Oh I'm definetly not the aggressive driving seaside pearl owner you saw on 355.

A hycam passed me on rohlwing yesterday when I was P&G'ing, he/she was on full EV, I wanted to honk/roll down my window and tell him/her to glide instead. :)