1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chicago Prius Group Meeting :: Sunday May 20th

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Apr 21, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I spoke with Kevin Fernquist of Grossinger Toyota and he is arranging a meeting for us at their dealership on Sunday, May 20th. We will begin at 1:00 but of course anyone can show up early.

Kevin has indicated that they have some Prius Techs on site and he will work to have one at the meeting. This will provide some very good insight into the mechanics and electronics of the vehicle. Additionally, he has already contacted a representative of iGO, Chicago's only non-profit car sharing service.

Some food and drinks will be provided, but in the spirit of the Milwaukee Hybrid Group, anyone who wants to bring a pot-luck style dish is more than welcome to do so.

WHERE
    Grossinger Toyota
    7225 N. Cicero Avenue, Lincolnwood, IL
    [Click for GoogleMap]
    (Do not use the Prius NAV because it points to the old location)

WHEN
    Sunday, May 20th @ 1:00 pm
    Running probably a couple hours formally and continuing informally until everyone leaves.

WHAT
    A formal meeting with guest speakers, discussion round-tables, demonstrations, explanations.
    We will be checking tire pressures, discussing various mileage techniques, and working with new owners to help them better understand their Prius. Interested non-hybrid owners will have the opportunity to speak with hybrid owners to better understand the technology.

ON THE SIDE
    Because this is the very first formal Chicago Prius Group meeting, it's also a rallying of the troops and a call to arms. Everyone has something to share and if you are interested in presenting some topic, let me know. If you have materials that you would like to bring, please bring them; if they are electronic, please send me a copy. We, the CPG, are building our reference materials library and need all the help and content we can get. If you have an interesting article or photos or anything, please donate them to our collection or bring them to share. The more information we can share the better!

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Since this is a formal meeting should I wear my tux? And if I do, will there be any guarantee I won't wind up like maggie's penguins.

Wayne

3. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Kevin said that he's planning on sending out a mailing to existing Grossinger customers notifying them of the meeting. He offered to include something from the group. I figured that if he's going to be sending out a one-page something, we can literally piggy back on the back side of the sheet.

Take a few minutes to proof-read the attachment. It's a first pass and I'm open to comments. However, I need to get this to him in its finished form by Tuesday afternoon.

I should add, though, that I plan to use it as often as I can so continuing input is appreciated.

Attached Files:

4. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The attachment looks good. Only one comment.

I would use the word emergency towing in that paragraph. The manual calls it that too. There are too many limitations for towing via the eyelet.

I like to think of the hole as a navel. It was used once when the car was "born" (ok - the ship ride over), never to be used again...

5. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We'll be there with a pot luck "something."

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

6. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Although we are a "Prius" group we accept all hybrids (just ask ol' n8kwx). Why not make the attachment generic and say "Hybrid" instead of Prius. We could possibility attract more hybrid owners, especially the new Camry hybrid owners. At the Milwaukee Hybrid Group meet-up this past Saturday there must have been 4 new Camry hybrid owners there for the first time.

Wayne

PS. Is basic black and white OK for the tux or should I add a splash of color?

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would stick with the basic black, leaving the cumberbun to splach some color.

8. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Would anyone want to meet early or stay late to do an EV mod install (coastal)?

9. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll probably be there early. Just make sure your car is clean so I don't dirty my tux.

Wayne

10. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Apr 25 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]429690[/snapback]</div>
    It still has new car smell now, by then it will probably be gone but it should still be clean enough to not dirty a tux.

I'll get it to the point where stuff starts to get plugged in, I mainly am looking for someone to say "yay" or "nay" as I start plugging in things. thanks!

11. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Speaking of that I still have yet to install my Ev switch, but won't be in chicago that weekend. *sigh* I was supposed to do it last weekend, but wound not doing it... had to clean the car up and do meanial weekend tasks.

I wish it would stop raining on my weekend plans to do things while I'm not at work. Stupid sun only comes out while I'm at work, the minute I get home its raining.

P.s. you're not allowed to take a nap while installing the ev switch. Tony tried that once. Its the biggest no-no ever!

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Proper sleep/hydration/nutrution is always key to any modification project.

I'm planning on being at Grossinger by 12:00 to set up and such.

13. mikel 52

mikel 52 Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Figures. I'll be at a race in New Castle Indiana that weekend. I'm going to make it to another get together if I'm in town when it's going on.

Mike

14. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, here is the schedule for the 20th.

12:30-1:00 Meet and greet with some food provided by Grossinger's Toyota.

1:00-1:30 Start of meeting, introductions, upcoming events.

1:30-2:00 Presentation of a Prius Hybrid battery from a 2002 Prius, you can even touch it.

2:00-2:40 Prius maintenance conducted by a Prius tech from Grossinger's Toyota, including a tour of the underside of a Prius that is on a lift, you can touch this too.

2:40-3:00 Wrap up and raffle off 3 free car washes that Grossinger Toyota will perform right then and there as well as some other give aways.

3:00-? Post meet conversation and MPG driving technique training for those interested.

Wayne

15. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I went ahead and installed my ev mod after watching the video.. but I'll come early if you need any help setting up.

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great. Thanks Douglas. The more the merrier.

17. Drifter

Drifter Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 8 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]437421[/snapback]</div>

Do they need a volunteer for the prius maintenance demonstration? I'll be coming up on my 30K oil change around then. They could change my oil (my three quarts of mobil 1 provided) and rotate my tires. I might even let them change out the oil and airconditioning filters if they didn't charge much for the thirty second installations. :)

18. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oooooooo...bring your oil with you.

Wayne

19. Trendy2

Trendy2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey all, lurking for a few weeks, first post!
    The wife and I just bought a pre-owned '04 Prius last Thursday night and we're absolutely in love with the car after a week of driving it. We're definitely thinking about attending, sounds like a good time and I know I'd really like to learn a lot more about the car itself and some of the technological aspects. Hopefully we can make it, look forward to meeting with you.

20. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trendy2 @ May 10 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]439040[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to Prius ownership and PriusChat. We do hope you can come out to the meet-up, it will be a good time and educational (in a fun way).

Wayne