1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chicago Tribune: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid to Start at $27,270

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by a priori, Feb 22, 2009.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In today's Chicago Tribune (Sunday, February 22, 2009), Jim Mateja reviewed the 2010 Ford Fusion. He reported the model he reviewed was a base model that was NOT the hybrid, but at the same time he said the hybrid would START at $27,270.

That sounds like a pretty high price for a starting point, but Jim Mateja already was crowing that it beat the Camry in MPG. (To be fair, he wasn't in a position to review and compare the two and didn't pretend to be doing so. Still, he was quick to point out the better numbers as reported by Ford (2010 Fusion vs. 2009 Camry.)

Sorry I am not providing any other references at the moment, but I'm certain someone else is likely to come up with them before I get back to PC. I only recently got to the physical paper, and I haven't yet looked at the online Tribune.

EDIT: Here is Jim Mateja's write-up: "Even non-hybrid Fusion a pleasant diverson". It is interesting that Mateja makes a claim the Fusion battery is better than the Camry battery: "And Fusion's nickel-metal-hydride battery pack is smaller, yet 20 percent more potent, so it can run up to 47 m.p.g. on batteries only."

2. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think Ford will have a tough time undercutting Prius in price.Prius has been around awhile. Their only chance is government help in rebates. That could make a difference. The hybrid battle will be all about price, and low price in the teens will be the key to higher volume.

If the governement wants a big switch to hybrids, they are going to have to offer large rebates to get the price down below $20K. Lower price will increase volume, and bigger volume will decrease price further.

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There should be a big tax credit for the Ford Fusion Hybrid ("FFH")this year. According to Ford, the new FFH will receive the full $3,400 tax credit.

The base model's effective price thus becomes $23,870. This could be compared to the 2010 Prius II or the base 2010 Camry Hybrid. I think most folks are expecting the Prius to be priced in that range, but I expect the Camry will be higher. I don't think you'll find a "base" Camry Hybrid.

NOTE: If you want to get that whole $3,400 credit for buying the FFH, you'll need to make the purchase by March 31, 2009. Starting April 1 (no foolin'), the tax credit will drop to $1,700, and on October 1, 2009, the tax credit will be cut in half, once more, to $850. After April 1, 2010, no Ford Hybrids will be eligible for this tax credit.

4. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

When is this thing hitting dealer lots? Seems a narrow window for the full credit.....