1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chicagoland engine block heater install event

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by FireEngineer, Sep 17, 2009.

1. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have wanted your engine block heater installed, now is the time. Do you need one? Just search the Gen II forums for the info on why. Don't have an engine block heater? You can get them from the PriusChat shop, www.metrotpn.com or the Milwaukee Hybrid Group. Remember, they will not be available at the Chicago install event and the Milwaukee event will have a limited number of extra, so get them ahead of time.

First the Milwaukee Hybrid Group is having a group install event on Saturday September 26th. The location is seven one one zero West Good Hope Road, Milwaukee, WI. If you are interested contact Bradlee Fons at [email protected].

But if you don't want to travel, then our ChicagoPriusGroup is having an install party on Saturday, October 10th starting at 10:30AM. Not only can you get your engine block heater installed, but we will be having a cookout. The address is two five five two five West Ivanhoe Rd., Wauconda, IL . And if you'd like, bring a side dish to share as well. It usually is a 15 minute install for a Gen I and II Prius, about 30 minutes for a Camry and about 45 minutes for a Gen III Prius. These times are for a car which is cooled down. So come out and get some food and get warm for the winter. If you are going to get a install, please let us know so we have an idea for time. And even if you don't want or need an install, come out anyway and socialize with all your fellow Prius owners. Any questions just email [email protected].

2. TracyJ

TracyJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    boy i wish i lived closer to you, fireengineer. i get my prius next week and want to get a block heater even though i live in atlanta. do you know of anyone in this area that does installs inexpensively or do you ever get down my way?

thanks, tracyj

3. mattjw83

mattjw83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What are the benefits of the engine block heater? I understand the concept, but would like to hear about results Gen III owners have seen. Any comments would be appreciated.

4. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tracyj, sorry I don't know anyone who would be able to do the install cheap down your way. But it's going to get cold up here soon, so I wouldn't miind taking a trip down if you'd like it installed.

Wayne

5. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My experience so far, as documented elsewhere in the forums, is that with out the EBH I do not reach 157F, stage 4, untill I have traveled 3miles/10 minutes. With the EBH, I reach stage 4 within 3/4 mile and less than 5 minutes. It is only after you reach stage 4 that HSD really can give you high MPG. My first 5 minute MPG will jump from 25/30 to 45/50. YMMV.

Wayne

1 person likes this.
  6. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Assuming my vehicle shows up in time, I would very much like to join the fun. Heck, I'm happy to help grill as well!

7. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well even if it doesn't, come anyway. You don't need a Prius to join the fun.

Wayne

8. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just wanted to thank Wayne once more for my install a few days ago here in Michigan. I may drive over for the October get-together if it doesn't overlap with my semi-planned trip to central NY state to see my family. In any case, those who have block heaters installed will be amazed at how quickly and neatly it goes in ... like it was always there ... even though the Toyota dealers don't know what to do with them.

Rick

9. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    *sigh*

Due to some parental issues, I'm going to have to work this weekend. :( Perhaps, once everything is settled, Wayne, I can get the parts & come see you? I'd happily furnish dinner in exchange for your expertise!

10. kawita

kawita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As we are getting closer to the date, I just wanted to chime in that I'll be there.

11. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I could get there to meet everyone, but my son has a football game early in the day *sigh*. Parental duties!!

Have fun!
    Shana

12. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well if you can't come later then there is always the Milwaukee Hybrid Group meeting at the Oak Creek public library on October 17th.

Wayne

13. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll be there, too, but I'm double booked with an important meeting in Wilmot till 1pm. Will you still be there around 2 or should I leave the meeting early?

14. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Chicago event should go well past 2PM. Milwaukee typically winds down after 1:30PM.

Wayne

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    damn, if only we weren't so booked this weekend. we could use one of those shortly, now that we live somewhere that it gets cold :)

16. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you know I deliver?

Wayne

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    alright, we could take you up on that. let us know what to throw on the grill for ya when you come!

18. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ever been to northern Idaho? :D

19. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Two years ago for the west coast DNA tour. But I should go back and see if everything is still the same.

Wayne

20. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes it's VERY important to keep updated on any changes. :D