1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ChicagoPriusGroup at College of DuPage 6-09-2007

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by FireEngineer, May 31, 2007.

1. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello Everyone,

It's time for our first of the year ChicagoPriusGroup outreach event to the public. This will be June 9, 2007 on the campus of the College of DuPage, 425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn, IL. The event is called "Sustainable Living in the Suburbs" and details are available at SustainDuPage. The event runs from 9:00AM-3:30PM and is free to the public. The organizers are looking forward to our participation.

We are looking for Prius/other hybrid owners to come out and display your vehicles and talk to the public. You do not have to open your vehicles unless you want to and we will not be giving test drives (even if you want to). Many people have misconceptions about hybrids. Having the chance to talk to owners is a great help in dispelling myths and misinformation. You don't have to know technical details of the car beyond what you already know, most people just want to know; does it drive like a real car, does it really get good MPG, when do you have to replace the battery (and how much), is there extra maintenance and where do you plug it in. If any technical questions come up, someone will be there from our group to answer, feel free to say you don't know but someone else does.

We will start setting up between 8:15AM-8:30AM and we have to leave by 4:00PM at the latest. We are looking for owners to come out between those times. You don't have to stay all day, a few hours would be great. Of course while your at the event feel free to browse the exhibitors and speaker sessions, we need to learn too. We would like to get a head count of who is coming, what time you will be there and for how long. If you intend to come out, please respond back to [email protected] and let us know.

Wayne

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 31 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]452775[/snapback]</div>
    I'm going to try and make that. I only read about it today, and last weekend was super-busy, so I'm not sure if I can or not. But I'll try.

3. jbullard

jbullard New Member

I am getting married on 06-09-07, so I wont be able to make that. But it sounds like a great event; please let us know how it goes.

4. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbullard @ Jun 6 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]457135[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't that depend on what time your getting married :D . Congrats.

Wayne

5. gkalkas

gkalkas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbullard @ Jun 6 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]457135[/snapback]</div>
    I know how that is. I had to choose between my daughter's wedding at Starved Rock and the meet at Grossinger Toyota! :D

George

6. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For those of you in the northern/western suburbs. The Friday edition of the Daily Herald in the Neighborhood section should have a piece about the event.

Wayne

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll see if I can get ahold of a copy.

8. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 31 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]452775[/snapback]</div>
    I'll e-mail you too, but where do we park, how do we meet? I hope to get there about 10:00.

9. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you e-mail the ChicagoPriusGroup.com, Tony will give you some instructions. The CPG website has the address, it will be in the parking lot by the Art's building....look for the bunch of hybrids.

Wayne

10. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you should happen to be reading this in the 10 hours between now and when the event starts, here's what Wayne sent me:
    Sorry for the delay but I was out with dinner plans.

11. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 8 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]458479[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, I did get there. Met Tony and Wayne again and several others. I was only planning on staying for two hours, but ended being there close to four hours. Had a good look at a FEH, whose new owner (he bought it 3 days earlier) came by for some driving tips. I talked to three friendly people, one who seemed rather convinced to buy one, but I was leaving as a policeman on a bike was giving all the usual arguments against a Prius: safety (what happens when you hit a Suburban at 80 mph), financial worth (somehow he was using a hybrid premium of $4K, and wasn't interested in anything beyond 5 years, I don't think they got into increased resale value). But other than that, it was a very positive event, and I took in the other activities there, ate some cookies made in a solar oven, saw a demonstration of a Neutron electric lawnmower, etc.

There were 8 Prius on display while I was there, but I saw at least 4 more in the parking lots, giving an indication of its growing popularity. And coming home, I went thru some older residential neighborhoods, and the 17-year cicadas really were loud and plentiful. We haven't heard a peep yet up in SW Lake County, I'm not sure if they are ever going to come out here.

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The event went really well and I would like to thank those who showed up. Of all the people I encountered, that cop on the bike was the only negative person. And I didn't even really meet him since he was heading off as I approached.

As usual, I had Priapus completely open with the hatch up and the seats down. This always gets people to say, "I never knew they were so big inside." I realize that fuel efficiency is a big selling point, but for some reason, the average American is more interested in cup holders. So to counter that, I show how much they can haul in a Prius, little storage nooks, dual glove boxs and yes, four cup holders.

The next thing we need to do for the CPG is acquire some banners and signs. If anyone has a line on inexpensive vinyl banners and signs, I'd love to hear it.

13. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just received an e-mail from the organizers and they really appreciated our participation. They also realize that we were out in "left field" and next year they want to pull us closer. Great job everyone.

Wayne