1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chicago's water woes - running dry

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SSimon, Jan 13, 2007.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I read this last night in the Chicago Wilderness publication. Though Chicago rests near a seemingly endless body of fresh water, neighboring areas are not immune to dry wells and using underground water faster than it can be replenished. Some communities are using such deep underground water that it's contaminated with radon and other hazardous substances (Milwaukee, Wisconsin). Kane County has simply run dry (I have no idea what these residents are doing for drinking water)

All of this is further complicated by the fact that we have paved over an enormous amount of land and rain water is no longer recharging underground sources. This behavior is altering the peripheral dynamic of our land. It just goes to show that what we do on our small parcel of land, does not stay localized.

The article also had a lot of very interesting historical information concerning Chicago's water.

This should serve as a model/warning for the rest of the country. Especially those areas that have an obvious limited quantity of water. Conserve, conserve, conserve.....

It's a very good read here.......

http://chicagowildernessmag.org/issues/winter2007/water.html

For all of you ecologically minded folk, I thought you may enjoy a home link and a link to their publications. Though some of the information is very specific to my area, some of the information can be applied universally. In any event, each and every article is beautifully written and informative. It helps one to understand just how truly entwined nature is with our lives and how we cannot live without its (clean) resources.

Publications link..........

http://chicagowildernessmag.org/

Home page.............

http://www.chicagowilderness.org/

2. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

Water tables are declining worldwide especially in China. Not only do we have to worry about peak oil but also peak water.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For the last two years, we have had radon contamination affecting our local wells causing them to shut them down or dramatically restrict them.

Around here, we seem to have unrestricted and uncontrolled development. This not only leads to traffic loading but also thousands of brand new, non conservation-minded households drawing on the same water supply.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IndyDoug @ Jan 13 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]375183[/snapback]</div>
    Of the two water should be our first worry.

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dallas/Fort Worth is very vunerable on water supply. Eight of the years in the 1950s were drought years - Dallas had water piped 100 miles north from the Red River. Since then, numerous lakes have been expanded or created (eight, I think). With the population 5-6 times larger than it was fifty years ago, water supply is getting tight again. Dallas now prohibits daytime watering in the Summer. Hopefully, more people will switch from the very thirsty St. Augustine grass to Bermuda.

What many people outside of Texas don't realize is the PineyWoods of East Texas is about equal to the forest of New England. That could change. :( Plans are being made to create new lakes in East Texas for Dallas, flooding forest and some historic trees. In Austin, the people from Dallas or Houston will have more votes than rural citizens.

Water should be consider on the E85 enviromental impact. It takes water to grow plants to process into grain alchol.

6. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Jan 13 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]375228[/snapback]</div>
    I've put in waterbarrels on the gutter downspouts, and my next-door-neighbor is going to do the same. It takes a bit of doing, but if you put in enough, and have enough thunderstorms in the summer, you never need to tap city water for garden watering. I've never tried it on the lawn -- in VA, if we have a drought, I just let the lawn turn brown. It also reduces the "flashiness" of the urban runoff, by capturing the first few hundred gallons of water off your roof (assuming the barrels are empty at the time). Some Maryland municipalities have programs in place to encourage this.

You can buy waterbarrels ready-made, but an interesting sidelight is 60 gallon food-grade HDPE barrels are available for the asking almost everywhere. Our local Pepsi plant sellls them for $5. The reason is that a lot of bulk food gets shipped in them, and by law they can't be re-used for food. So, they are like giant one-way disposable pop bottles. There's an entire industry devoted to getting rid of them. But then, you have to figure out the plumbing, paint them, and so on, to make the water barrel.

I think the homemade ones are cost-effective, if they'll last long enough. A barrel of city water would have cost me ... $0.30. Maybe they'll eventually pay for themselves at that rate.

Here's a good site on building a water barrel. Not what I did for mine but gives you the gis of it.

http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles...ater_barrel.htm

7. sleeka

sleeka Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here in most parts of Australia, we are constantly in varying degrees of drought. At the present time, we are experiencing the worst drought in living memory.

Most of our cities have had varying degrees of restrictions on water usage for some time now, and we are on the verge of having recycled (treated) water from our waste water treatment plants added to our rapidly diminishing dams to help ease the crisis.

The city where I live has level 4 water restrictions, which means no hosing of any kind; watering gardens by buckets only; no car or boat washing, or washing walls, driveways etc.; restricted topping up of pools etc.
    Our State Governments and local Councils offer cash rebates to residents who install rain water tanks and undertake other water conservation measures. Plans to force business to restrict use of potable water are also enforced.

Our rainfall in recent times seems to fall only on near coastal areas, not inland where the major dams are constructed. New infrastructure such as new dams; pipelines to link all water sources to share what we have; desalination plants etc is either being designed or built, but it is a race against time to have any or all of them operational before the dams run dry.

Our World's weather patterns are most certainly changing!

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree that water is a much more pressing issue than oil is. even in the rain soaked Pacific Northwest (we just set a two month record for most rain in Nov-Dec 2006 and is threatening to break that with Dec-Jan if we keep going) simply because around here i see a much more lax attitude towards water usage. i lived in So Cal for several years thru dozens of water rationing periods and people around here just dont get it.

as populations expand, we are now seeing the flow rate of the aquifer here starting to slow to the point that for the first time ever, we have to go to alternate sources of water, including some treated water for hydrants, parks, and other uses that dont involve human consumption.

basically, we are BELOW ground zero for water conservation awareness around here. as far as Australia goes, i cant imagine how tough it is there right now. The NASA Observatory has been watching them and has recorded ground temps nearly 10º higher than average. being a place that is frequently dry anyway, the much drier and hotter summer they are going thru right now has been a very fertile ground for wildfires. NASA posted some pics where fires seemed to be consuming nearly a quarter of the country. very scary

9. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, Milwaukee, WI uses Lake Michigan water.
    Some of the surrounding suburbs, which use well water, are having problems.

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sleeka,

Have you noticed any change in attitude about GW in Oz as a result of the drought? Is there any talk about greener power plants or the like?