1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chico CSU Sustainability II Confernece was a HIT!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by F8L, Nov 10, 2006.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just thought some of you would be interested in seeing the paradigm shift that is taking place on UC and CSU campuses across the country. So many of us are tired of seeing poorly thought out worldviews enacted. There are thousdands of students and professors pushing for sustainability in the curriculum and this event drew 900+ people to learn, showcase and network their ideas and prove their models.

One of the biggest highlights for me was the addition of a Sustainable Bussiness Minor and the recipient of a $10k award went to an economics major for his eco-friendly sustainable business model. Even the mayor came and did a speech and signed onto the nationwide Mayor's Global Warming Initiative. A long with their 5-acre solar panel array I think Chico, Ca. is pushing the sustainability idea full steam ahead and with fantastic results.

Here is a link to part of their website so you get an idea of what went on over here.

Chico CSU Sustainability II Conference

This guy put on a great seminar on organic/green architecture. Pretty amazing stuff and one of the main pionts was that unlike 10yrs ago building a "green" home will only add 0% to 1% in upfront costs compared to a standard house/building design. That doesnt account for the energy and replacement savings on down the road. Add in health care and such and the savings are even larger. Lots of great stuff!

If anyone is truely interested in any other info let me know and my college's environmental club took nots on just about all of it so I can get you any contacts you might be interested in.

This conference inspired me to write my first offical blog on a site my college and myself support. It just started up. Its called Saving the Sierra.org

Here is the blog: