1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Child-Free By Choice

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Proco, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A couple years ago my wife & I decided that children did not fit into the plans we have for our lives. We don't dislike kids, we just don't want them.

Making that decision has made our social lives very difficult. Most of our friends already have families and others are starting them. If we're together with a group, we're often "outside" the conversation, as a lot of it ends up centering on the children. Most of the time it can be like pulling teeth to find out what's actually going on with the parents. Questions like "how are you" and "what's new with you" usually end up having answers that are about the kids.

We've begun investigating Child Free resources, such as childfree.net and No Kidding (a social group for child-free couples and singles). But I was wondering if there were any PCers who've made the same decision. I'd love to hear your experiences.

Thanks!
    Mike

2. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

We've not been together long enough to really say we're going to stay child free - but the plan is to remain childless, and use our dual incomes to keep us, our cats, and our nieces and nephews properly spoiled.

One of the childfree sites summed it up pretty well for us - "Little things like having a clothing optional household remind us how free we are..."

=)

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 19 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]321559[/snapback]</div>
    It's probably best for a couple who doesn't want kids to not have them. How sad for a kid living in a home where mom and dad didn't/don't want them.

When I hear a couple has made this decision, I'm always curious what the plans are you have for your lives that children don't fit into...

4. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I knew then what I know now, I would be child free.

Please do not take that to mean I do not love my child. My child has many special needs and probably will not be able to live independently. She will not go to college and will most likely work at a minimum wage job, if at all. That is not the life I envisioned for the "gerber baby" that I was supposed to have.

I do not think that child free people are selfish or thoughtless. I actually feel they are very fortunate to know themselves well enough to make a decision like that and not be swayed by "everyone has kids" mentality.

5. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Sep 19 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]321566[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with this whole-heartedly. That's why we took "appropriate steps" once we made our decision. Took the bullets out of the gun, as it were.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Sep 19 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]321566[/snapback]</div>
    Our plans are to live our lives to the fullest without having to put ourselves second to anyone for any reason. When you have children they are, naturally, a primary focus of your lives. Both my wife & I were raised by ridiculously immature parents who didn't allow us to be ourselves. Someone else always mattered more in each of our houses. In my house it was my mother. For my wife it was her father. Who we are as people wasn't honored.

We've both worked long and hard to realize that we actually are important and have something to offer. We don't want to put ourselves in the backseat yet again.

6. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

:blink:
    research. My wife and both love what we do and we would not want to change our lives just because of the societal expectations. Having children would force us to abandon our dreams.

7. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've always been my own favorite child! :rolleyes:

Not having a husband, I could never have been a single parent - far too much of a job for one person ....

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Sep 19 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]321570[/snapback]</div>
    This was actually one of the things we thought about. We're both 37 now and we weren't "ready" 2 years ago. The chances of having a special needs child go up as you get older.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Sep 19 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]321570[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for understanding. While no one's reacted with outright hostility, we often get responses like "if you had kids you wouldn't feel that way". We thought about this long & hard. I was the one who first brought it up while we were engaged. And we talked about it for years before we finally made our decision.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 19 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]321559[/snapback]</div>
    HA! "NOT" having kids makes your social lives difficult...puhleez! How about not being able to have a social life because you have kids! When we can get a baby sitter we've gotta be home by about 10pm, most of the time a baby sitter isn't a consideration b/c of Taekwondo 3-4 days a week or, school activities, me and/or my wife are working. Taking off for a weekend is the stuff of dreams.

You'll get no sympathy on the 'social difficulty' from this father of 3. I absolutely love my kids and cherish my time with them, so don't take it like I'm complaining about that. But the areas where you get no sympathy are where it comes to social and personal time with my wife.

While I do see where you're coming from with the fact that many couples that you might socialize with have kids and how it might be a bit difficult to relate in those conversations I think the ability to get out and socialize at will should make it fairly easy to find compatible couples (with or without kids).

I'd also suggest considering becoming a big brother and a big sister, if you're at all interested. It's a fantastic program for kids in need of a roll model parent. You get the up side of having a kid by getting to go out and do social fun things as if you had kids of your own and the up side of taking them home and driving away to go on with your life afterward! Then, when out socializing, you can talk about "your kids" too!

In any case, I certainly respect your decision. It isn't the one I'd make, but that's irrelevant. I do think it's sad that your friends don't have anything else to talk about besides their kids...I hope I'm not that way when I'm out with others. :huh:

10. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I actually asked for a hysterectomy for my 16th birthday -- only half kidding! I always expected to be married, but that didn't happen either. So I'm happily single and childless. Most of my friends are married with children, and I miss having single friends, but I have decided to get over it. I live in a very family-oriented town, and unless I move, which I don't want to do, I can have married friends or be a total loner. I prefer friends.

Having grown up in a very abusive household, I have come to realize that I never had the skills to be a good parent. So when that was my preference anyway, it has worked out fine.

Having said I never wanted children, I always thought being a grandmother would be great. But since I couldn't figure out a way to make that happen, I enjoy my nieces and nephews.

Peace --

11. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 19 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]321583[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it does. While I don't understand the difficulties that parents have, it's one of the things we thought about before we made our decision. Can you understand what it's like to try to find friends that truly understand our decision, support it and welcome us as "equals"? Among married couples, we're in the minority. I'm not looking for sympathy. I posted my message to see if there were others that made the decision we did and encountered similar problems. It may not be intentional, but your tone sounds condescending here ... and if it was intentional, I really don't appreciate it. I don't want to turn this into "parents vs non-parents".
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 19 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]321583[/snapback]</div>
    But that ablility to get out and socialize at will hamstrings you when the majority doesn't have that flexibility. Parents generally don't have that flexibility. They have a hard time finding a babysitter on short notice, or the kids have a soccer game or piano recital. The flexibility we enjoy can & does work against us. We've gotten involved in different things, but it's very had meeting people who enjoy that flexibility. Which makes it very hard to be sociable.
    I've thought about being a big brother. I don't know if it's the right decision for me, but it's definitely something to think about.

I'm sure you don't talk too much about your kids. You're probably too busy talking about your Prius. :p

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    marjflowers, being a woman, it is reasonably too late for you (although not impossible) and i am glad you are happy with your decision. being in that you are three days older than me.

i started late in life, my first child was born when i was 37 and he just had his 10th birthday. my second will be born next april. so goes to show you it is never too late for some.

always remember, adoption although risky, can be nearly as rewarding but i guess that would be a bit off topic

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I was a very young child myself I observed my classmates. I noted how cruel they were to each other. I was teased a bit, but I was mostly left alone. However I observed intolerable cruelty between kids. I decided then and there that I never wanted to have kids, and I've never changed my mind. Adults see how cute and cuddly kids are, how they say amusing things, how they occasionally come up with a wise or witty remark, and adults think that's wonderful. But I remember, and still observe, how cruel they are whenever they think they can get away with it. Of course my decision to have no kids has been moot, since I've never been in a relationship where kids were a potential issue.

I'm also extremely sensitive to sudden loud noises. They frazzle my nerves. My mother tells me that when I was a baby, I'd jump, and then shake for several minutes, whenever the doorbell rang. It's just the way my brain is wired.

I've wanted to be married, or have an otherwise long-term relationship, and I'd marry a woman with a child, or at most two, but only if I hit it off with the kid(s). It would be unfair to the kid to marry a mother if you didn't like the kid, or if the kid didn't like you. I've asked out women with kids, as well as women without. But I've gotten nowhere.

So I am childless both by choice and by lack of opportunity. I am glad to be childless, but not to be still alone.

14. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I'm going to have a kid for every PC'er who posts up they specifically chose not to have kids....! After about maybe 3, I'll start dropping 'em off at adoption agencies all across the country.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 19 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]321600[/snapback]</div>
    BANG!

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 19 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]321600[/snapback]</div>
    thank you daniel... i wish more people thought this way. like my stepdad for instance. :rolleyes:

for my own choices, for a long time i was afraid that i wouldn't know how to raise a child, since i had no real role model in that respect. but we do want children now. (well not now but at some point) since i'm no longer stifled as a person, i've found out more of who i am and found more of my inner strength. i realized i am capable of doing this.

some people do find that and still hesitate to have children, which is just fine. i say if you're hesitant, there's probably a reason and i am completely in agreement with (i think it was daron) who said that it's tragic for a child to grow up with parents who did not want him or her. to each their own, after all you know yourself best.

16. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I think any couple childless by choice who will talk about it matter of fact is fighting a "selfish stereotype".

If you were to tell anyone who asked about the absence of children that you were unable to conceive, you get a ton of sympathy and condolances.

If you tell them you didn't want the inconvenience, interruption of your schedule, or financial burden then you pretty much get a condescending backlash. Some people are childless becuase they think it's the environmental thing to do for the earth. For whatever reason a couple might have, they end up with a lot of people automatically assumeing that they're self absorbed.... Typically people think of self absorbed as a bad thing.. Why no children? "Me me me me me me, my needs...." Sounds self absorbed, so it's not surprising that becomes the natural response of so many.

I heard that there is a board much like prius chat where people who are extremely self absorbed get together to discuss their lifestyle choice. The unfortunate thing is.... No one is willing to share the URL to it, they're too busy with their own lives.

That's a joke... :eek:

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My kids are my life's work. Raising people is both the most frustrating and most rewarding thing I've ever done. But I understand someone not wanting kids, for many different reasons. There are other rewarding things people can do with their lives. (and I hope to rediscover some of those in a few years)

18. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Sep 19 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]321616[/snapback]</div>
    Fortunately, no one's called us selfish (yet). We freely admit we've made our choice for our reasons and our needs. As children, our needs were not met. If you've ever been in that position, it's understandable you wouldn't want to be in that position again. In my specific case, I grew up with the belief that my time was not my own. With a child, that would be the case again. I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't want to feel like that again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Sep 19 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]321616[/snapback]</div>
    I have that URL bookmarked at home. If I'm not too busy tonight, I'll send it to you. :p

19. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love children. I went to school to become a teacher of children but my path ended up taking me elsewhere. I also have volunteered for underprivileged abused children until I move out of the city.

My husband and I choose not to have children. If we had considered children, however, we probably would've sought adoption. There are way too many children in the system that need homes for us to have considered having our own. That's our personal viewpoint.

The factors that went into our decision were monetary, our age and the environment. My husband is 9 years older than I and by the time the child wants to go to college, my husband will be of retirement age. Since we're not in a position where we're on track to retire at this age, it didn't seem we could responsibly support another life. With financial distress being a main cause for marital friction or divorce, this was a main factor in our decision. Basically, we didn't want to have a child and not be able to properly care for him/her or wind up so financially stressed that we couldn't provide a harmonious, loving, supportive home for the child. So far as the environment, with over six billion people on the planet, and the population increasing every second, we also didn't think it would be responsible to create more life. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of human beings on this planet. With these factors in mind, we choose to forgo our wishes to have children. Luckily, I have six nieces and nephews who can serve to fill the void.

20. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 19 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]321608[/snapback]</div>
    This was one of the reasons we waited as long as we did to make our decision. We didn't want to rush into something we weren't ready for. We also didn't want to end up resenting whatever we feel we might have "lost" by having children and end up taking it out on them. My wife is a huge advocate for children, so this was a very big issue for her.