1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

China policy vs hybrid cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Dec 3, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    China’s proposed ban of rare-earth metals would affect hybrid cars, CFLs - 11/26/2009 - EDN

One of the differences between a developed and undeveloped economy is the type of products. A developed economy sells manufactured goods and an undeveloped economy exports raw materials. But then a thought occurs to me:

• Canada has nickel
    • USA has rare earths
    • USA has a rapidly expiring NiMH patent
    Perhaps folks, it is time to 'get a clue' and make our own NiMH batteries. How hard can it be? ...

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe their new precious metals sales policy is in part because we're putting up such a warranty stink about their poisonous-toxic dry wall. Seems like that's what happened last go round ... with the lead laced toy paint they gave us. They wouldn't be the 1st county to use knee jerk / retaliatory / subtle reminders that we dare not mess with the 'system'. And here, the system is China seeing it self as the low-priced goose that lays the cheep golden eggs for its consumers.

3. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this back round again? There were stories on this several months ago. The article they reference is from August. I suspect what we're seeing here is global churnalism on its very slow merry-go-round, not new news.

Last I heard China planned to only export refined metals rather than unrefined ores, to capture a little more of the revenue from refining. Seems fairly sensible to me.

I also don't think it applies to the Prius - as far as I recall the electrode material is produced in China and only shipped to Japan for final module production.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Complicated matters. As a China resident, my opinions might not be regarded as neutral, however....

US is now 'protectioning' auto tires and the EU is leather shoes. It might be said that China is pushing back. Or, that they want to give poor little auto manufacturer BYD a leg up in the market.

If I see any local new news on rare earth element exports, I'll let you know.

The drywall with sulfide, milk powder with melamine, dog food (with whatever that was?), etc. were greed and/or negligence by particular manufacturers. With the whiff of possible govt. officials on the take (I get in trouble for saying things like that :). Clearly they lower world perception of the quality of Chinese goods, and harsher (internal!) responses would certainly please me.

One can also find companies in China doing great work and reaching world-class standards in manufacturing. Two days ago, I bought binoculars from the manufacturer in Kunming (My fair city). They cost USD$130 equivalent and are substantially better than what Japan and EU offer at that price. Anybody who enjoys quality optics, I wish I could offer you a look through these...

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    America obviously has the know-how to make anything given required materials.
    It is a matter of how economical to make it ourselves.
    I can name a few things that only America has the know-how while other countries struggle with their national resources to catch up.

However, the point is that every country in this world has its right to survive with what it has,
    whether it is resources, labors, or brain power. As long as the international trade rules are respected and obeyed, it is how the world game is played.
    If certain country does not play fair (such as copyright issue), that is why we need WTO to solve issues.
    If every country tries to make goods by itself, everything will become more expensive.
    At the end, everyone will suffer, more or less.