1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

chipped paint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tom1l21, Apr 30, 2009.

1. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On my left wheel well, there a a couple chips about the size of 1/4 a fingernail. I have a silver prius but not sure the exact name of the color. I also have some small scratches that I'd like to go over. Any suggestions for the scratches or the chips? I don't want it to start to rust. I'd look around the forums but I'm on my BlackBerry and it doesn't have a search function or at least I didn't find it. Thanks!

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes: ASAP get a touch-up pen of the matching color from a dealer and fill the chips, before they start to rust. This will be inconspicuous. The dealer can look up the color for the model and year.

3. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Is this the pen that I would get?

4. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks right to me, assuming that your Prius is Silver Pine Mica (light green) and not Millennium Silver... no guarantees, though! Call a dealer to confirm the "6U0" color code. (And how do you know whether it will be fresh, buying it through eBay?)

5. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Actually it is millenium silver, not the green one. If I purchase it from the dealer instead what do you think they charge for it and is applying it as easy as it seems? The paint where it chipped is rather thick, this pen will clear up the entire spot? I did notice a very tiny orange tint where the chip was probably a sign of very early rust.

6. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They cost about $7 five years ago. The final result will not be perfect: there will be a chip-sized crater (possibly with a rim) or an uneven spot, of the correct color, but it will be less conspicuous than a chip and will prevent rust. Something that approaches the original appearance would require an experienced refinisher or paint shop [but see the reference in the next post!].

Try doing one yourself and see what you think. Just be certain to get all the rust out first. Shake well. If the chip is small put a little paint on a toothpick and use that.

7. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A