1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

chips of paint on hood 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ahempton, Apr 13, 2014.

1. ahempton

ahempton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all - I just noticed there are a series of paint chips from the hood of my 2010 Prius metallic grey. Not too, too noticeable, but there are a series of round paint chips.

1. Does anyone else have this problem; and,

2. What's the best way to get this fixed?

When you go in for a detail at the Toyota dealer, do they fix paint chips/scratches around the car?

2. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have chips on my car also. I use a half bra on the front of the hood which has stopped some of the chipping. The bumper is getting many chips.

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use a bra as well on my 2014 G3. Paint chips from winter coarse sand they spread on our roads. I have the full bra and will probably remove it in the summer. I did remove the bra and check for chafing ,but all was well. I purchased a two pcs. Le Bra from Amazon last fall. Well made and fits well. :) H

4. house

house Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Paint chips are inevitable. You have a few options to fix em:

1: DIY touch up paint from the Toyota dealer. Touching up the spots yourself will reduce their appearance, and prevent rust and prevent the chips from growing in size. ~$10

2. Professional fill and buffer. A professional detailer will sand and fill the chips then buff it smooth. ~$300-1000 depending on severity.

To prevent further chips after repair consider a professional clear bra application. These are ~$500 for just the front bumper to $1500+ for full bumper,hood, mirror, fender coverage.

5. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hood is aluminum, so won't rust.

6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Consider the idea of doing nothing. The hood will never rust, buying paint products/having the hood repainted to make it look better might not be worth the money it will cost you, ot the waste of materials, also it will get lots of chips again. Do the chips bother you that you want to spend, hundreds and hundreds of dollars so you wont see them? A detail at the dealer will do nothing for chips. My hood has dozens and dozens of them for almost 5 years now.

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    But that's you, others do not have the same opinion...

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just thought they may consider. To the OP you will need to pay to have the hood repainted and then your going to want to do something to protect it like a good film. Or it you don't mind it looking touched up you can get touch up paint and cover the chips, but anyone looking at it will see all the spots that where touched up.

9. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMO, this paint is pretty easily chipped. I was amazed at how many I had in a matter of 6 months.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the prius is really low the ground which I think only exacerbates the chipping my dads FIT was an easy chipper as well...

I just use the factory touch up paint as I notice them. My daughter has an later afternoon dance class so often times I will take the detaling stuff and do a once over in the parking lot while i wait.

I have seen the clear bras that will nick and get "chipped" as well. and after a few years of use the film will may need to be replaced to keep it looking good. a couple of film apps and you'd paid for a hood/bumper repaint...

but it could also be juts cheaper thinner paints...

11. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Prius had paint chipped off from road debris after the first week of owning it. The main reason are the bad roads, potholes, etc. thanks to the snow storms last winter. I knew it would be inevitable so I don't pay any mind to that stuff.

12. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I use the Toyota touch up paint, it is easy to use if you have a little patience and it effectively covers up the unsightly chips. If you are real careful and apply it sparingly you have to look real close to see where they were, especially on darker colors.

13. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've had good results on our 2007 with the Dr. Color Chip kit. Costs about $50 (depending on size of kit). Probably will order one soon for our 2011 that has a lot of road rash.

14. ahempton

ahempton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Allright, so just to update this.... I just noticed two rust spots on the roof of the car. I took it by the Toyota dealer yesterday and they just said it is normal wear/tear and that I could use a touch-up paint kit to fix. I was surprised to be getting rust on the top of the car so soon; it's only a 2010.

15. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you live right on the coast, there could have been a paint chip in the roof that got moisture in it. The hood is aluminum but the roof is steel.