1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Choosing a windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by silentak1, Oct 12, 2006.

1. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My luck has ran out and I now sport an expanding 14" crack across the windshield. I don't want a shaded, tinted, or any other kind of windshield rather than clear. I've been quoted $241 for a generic one installed (and apparently it looks darn good; they installed one last week on an '06) or $320 for PPG. Both prices include mouldings and installations.

1) Is PPG that much better? I see that it's a favorite among aftermarket windshield shoppers.

2) Is $320 for PPG installed a relatively good price?

3) Realistically speaking, is optical clarity an issue with aftermarkets? (such as the generic one)

Thank you in advanced,
    Alex

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 12 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]332036[/snapback]</div>
    I've heard that a 'Toyota' marked windshield is best of all, but I'm no expert. I can tell you that, based upon my experience, the price you've been quoted is pretty good; the one I bought through the Toyota dealer cost in the mid-$500's, and labor was an additional $75.

There was someone (whose handle I can't recall at this moment) who'd mentioned that they got an aftermarket tinted windshield and did notice some optical issues with it. But it sounded to me like he was attempting something over and above a replacement.

You might check out: "Now it's foggy all the time (Pinto Girl buffs windshield; ruins it)" on this site for more about my experience.

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd love to get an OEM part, but i've been quoted in excess of $900 from many LA dealers. Ouch.

I do recall that story that you mentioned but i think he was trying to get a shaded windshield. My third question is directly more towards people with clear generic windshield experiences, good point though.

And yes..i'll make sure not to buff mine ;)

edited

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got that price too, but in my case I was paying out of pocket and they were able to find some leeway in their pricing.

It may also have had to do with the fact that I'm a long time customer and, in the process of taking the shuttle 1/2 mile to the transit station, they instead took my almost twenty miles south in morning rush-hour traffic, made three(!!!) stops, then -- nearly an hour and twenty minutes later -- got me to the station after I'd missed my trains.

Personally, I'd go with PPG; not only because I am from Pittsburgh. The fact that lots of jobbers use their products is a good sign, I'd think; fewer callbacks for them means a greater chance of satisfaction for you.

Personally, I learned the hard way how important the optical clarity of the windshield is...I'd get the best you can afford.

5. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It was darrell who had three replacements. Because of the shallow angle of the windshield, any optical defects are very obvious.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup. It was me. My 2006 Prius has seen FOUR windshields now. Ug.

I'm confused at what seems to be obvious to others. What is PPG? And for the record, I was trying to get a "shaded" windshield. That's with a tint strip across the front. All of these windshields are "tinted" - usually about 95% (meaning 95% light transmission for those about to clobber me with "mine isn't limo-tinted, idiot!")

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 12 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]332109[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! Looks like they do most of the popular Toyotas except for Camry and Prius. I wonder why a company would choose different glass mft's for different products?

9. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    darelldd, thanks for the correction.

Looks like i'm going to try to work out a deal with the PPG. Sounds satisfying so far.

10. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here in Albuquerque, I was quoted a price of $1300 for a Toyota replacement windshield! At several shops, too. Although my insurance was paying for almost all of the replacement cost, I decided not to go with the OEM just because it ticked me off that Toyota and the dealer (who was supplying the windshield) were jacking up the price so high. I got a replacement manufactured by Pilkington at a cost of $390 (although my insurance company insisted on paying $487 for it), and it actually has less distortion than the original windshield, which had some distortion when looking over to the right.

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 12 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]332116[/snapback]</div>
    I would guess it is proximity of the windshield factory to the automaker's assembly line. PPG doesn't have a plant in Japan so I would be surprised if any Toyota built in Japan has a PPG windshield.