1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

christmas eve messing around

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, Dec 26, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hooray for stinky cars...

*someone* spilled milk on the floor in front of the back seat in the prius last week and whew did that result in a raunchy smell inside the car...

well christmas eve we had no work and no pressing side jobs to do so guess what we did. thought all you guys might like to see a stripped prius interior so i took pictures.

because he put in the ipod adapter last christmas, we had to yank out part of the dash to get the center console out (controllers were wired in there) and then the rest of the interior. on the left is the big side job about finished, and on the right is the old project car that i swear he'll clean out and sell or i'm gonna put a foot up his... er, you get it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's our target: the carpet. at least the bottom is rubber coated so nothing sinks through it into the padding below.
    [​IMG]

and he wanted me to time him start to finish: 30 min 27.91 sec
    [​IMG]

no word yet on whether or not pressure washing the carpet did the trick but it's looking hopeful. till then, guess who's driving around in the car looking just like that plus a driver's seat :lol: damn smartkey receiver is in the hatch along with the center console and the rest of the interior stuff so i have to actually put the fob in the dash... argh...

i want my car back to normal again! hopefully tomorrow.

2. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Looks like you've got a secure backup job at a chop shop!

Seeing what you did, I now would probably just try to clean it up the best I could, buy stock in Fabreze, and just learn to live with rotted milk stench.

I remember puking in my Suzuki Samurai once. The smell only lasted for a couple of months.

3. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :blink: :eek: :rolleyes: :lol: :(

Sometimes we end up doing the unlikeliest things (on holidays, birthdays, even wedding days!), huh?

do we know who that *someone* is who spilt the milk (over which there obviously was some crying)??

Why not simply do as the French (oops) do, and repeatedly spray nice-smelling things over the foul smell, rather than root it out at its source? B)

On Christmas eve I spent seven straight hours combatting a huge ant invasion into our kitchen, driven (the ants, that is) both by the rain and certain, uh, forgotten food drippings/droppings. I ended up chemically (and abetted by steel wool amd a razor blade) scouring the counter tiles---and, of course, there's no point doing that without also cleaning the discolored grout with a stub-bristled toothbrush, is there?

The ant line got the message and has temporarily retreated to a point just outside the kitchen slider.

I now have a vacuum cleaner bag populated largely by ants. Anyone want an ant farm-in-a-bag?

God bless the children who think their new homes will be classier with tiled counters and floors. :rolleyes:

4. chimohio

chimohio New Member

30 minutes - WOW. Maybe you should consider getting a job at the local Toyota dealer and specialize on the Prius :lol:

The big question is - how long will it take to put it back together. Let us know.

5. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think Prius biker was just being funny

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I never let anyone bring food or drink into my car. Ever. Period.

8. mrg

mrg Member

9. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 26 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]366953[/snapback]</div>
    I think so too. But what's funny to me is that it already IS true... :)

10. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey Galaxee,

The neighborhood in your picture looks awfully familiar - I think I know exactly where that is (in walking distance of DH's place of employment if it weren't for having to cross 15-501 on foot?).

I'm glad you were able to spend Christmas Eve bonding with your beloved Prius by getting even more intimately familiar with its internal workings and by bestowing much more TLC on it in cleaning up a spill than ordinary car owners would ever consider. My fiancee does make fun of me for not alowing any drinks in my cars - ever; and I maintain that it's for a reason! :p

I spent Christmas Eve in a numb haze after having sold my beloved Prissy the day before. Resale values, while still good, are not quite what they used to be.

Best of luck in getting the stench out of your car, and I hope you are doing well otherwise,
    Bill

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Dec 26 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]366871[/snapback]</div>
    suppose that's one way of looking at it :p working fast is where the money is anywhere in the tech world.

the smell seems to have gone away. i guess i will find out soon, it's going back together tonight.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 26 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]366873[/snapback]</div>
    we have also battled ants, that was a real pain, they ended up coming from a hole in the baseboard so i caulked it up, no more ants!

we always seem to have the strangest things going on... i don't get it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Dec 26 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]366899[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: we might consider doing that

hopefully not much longer than to take it apart. will find out tonight after work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 26 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]366975[/snapback]</div>
    he had bought a gallon of milk from the grocery store and it tipped over on the way back home... and as luck would have it, it wasn't properly sealed. go figure!

we only carry food and beverages on our 24-hour-straight drives up north.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, i've never heard of that! thanks for the tip. if the smell comes back i will try it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ltu1542hvy @ Dec 27 2006, 01:24 AM) [snapback]367062[/snapback]</div>
    we're in a clone of that community a little farther down mlk, actually. the one you're thinking of was a bit more expensive so we decided on the other.

:lol: yeah we're a little nuts that way too...

and i see your girlfriend is now your fiancee :eek: :D congratulations!!!

aww. i hope she went to a good home. when you come back stateside you can give another prius a good home :) are you ready for your big move? hopefully that goes well for ya.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Great new product called ZeroOder or 0 oder ... what ever. Google it. Use it. Takes out nasty cologne, dog puke, urine ... cigaret smoke ... skunk ... you name it. It saves me from my wife's allergies to all those smells & more.

14. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Dec 27 2006, 06:56 AM) [snapback]367131[/snapback]</div>
    A gallon milk jug is fairly stable because it's nice and wide at the base. Sounds like someone took a turn on two wheels... :unsure:

15. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Dec 27 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]367198[/snapback]</div>
    You could just stop smoking, wearing nasty cologne and pissing on the floor. :lol:

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Dec 27 2006, 06:56 AM) [snapback]367131[/snapback]</div>
    One of my favorite comic strips is from Argentina, and is called Mafalda. Mafalda is a little girl who has something of Pogo about her, for those old enough to remember Walt Kelly's 'possum.

There's a running gag that her dad has house plants, and is in a perpetual battle against the ants. In one strip, he is putting sugar into the electrical outlets, hoping to attract the ants to the wires and electrocute them.

I do not recommend trying this.

17. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Sounds like you need to put DH over your knee and spank. Only stop if he shows he's enjoying it too much.

18. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Reminds me of the "sharp" looks I get when I insist that my wife use a capped coffee cup in our Prius. Her Camry sometimes smells like coffee from her use of a regular coffee mug.

I choose to endure the stressed domestic relations to avoid coffee on the upholstery and carpets. *SIGH*

Insofar as the overturned milk carton, I *ALWAYS* place milk cartons in the "pocket cargo net."

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Hell with putting it all back together... Get a roll cage put in there, two bright red recaro racing seats, and replace the rear seat with a 20 gallon gas tank and fill up once a month!