1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chrysler offers fixed-rate gas cards to move SUVs

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Ichabod, May 13, 2008.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just saw an ad on TV for some "full-sized" SUV that ended with a promise of $2.99/gal gas for 3 years. Here's a link. It's not too long ago that people were pretty upset by the idea of $3 gas, but now I guess that sounds like a steal.

It sounds terribly desperate to me, but makes me think that Toyota could probably give out 3-year $1/gal gas cards with new Prius sales and still not spend more on that promotion than Chrysler will on theirs.

This seems like a plain admission by a major industry player that gas is not going to be cheap again. Although I wonder if prices go below $2.99 whether those buyers would be stuck paying the higher price. :D

I guess as long as faltering SUV manufacturers are willing to eat the higher cost of gas, Oil companies can keep raking in the cash. That's good for everyone, right? :rolleyes:

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you buy a Chrysler SUV, you're lucky to get 17 mpg (more realistically, 12-14 mpg) and I haven't done the math yet but at face value, I presume that buying a Dodge Durango, for example, with this gas for 2.99 gimmick, will actually cost you more than buying a HiHy which gets over 30 mpg (and no, the prices are not that far apart).

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does that even cover the Gas hog premium.

People will fall for this gimmick. If you take the same example as above (Durango) Their website says that it covers 12,000 miles @ 15 MPG (in the durango's case) So when you pay for 800 gallons (2400 for the 3 years) in a year it will still cost you $2400 each year out of YOUR pocket to drive 12,000 miles.

Get a 27 MPG HiHY and that 12,000 miles would be 444 gallons X $4 (theoretical price) $1776 or a difference of about $625 less (including the subsidies)
    Compare two similar trim levels.
    4WD Highlander Hybrid = $33,700
    4WD Durango SLT = $34,285

Doesn't make sense to me especially since this is in lieu of nearly all of their other incentives (low financing, cash back, etc....)

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So... what if you use the card to purchase a new vehicle (say i want to get something i can tow a boat with a few years down the line), then drive that vehicle maybe 1000 miles a year, and use the rest of the gas card to fill up you and your neighbors Prius's? After 3 years, you've barely driven the gas hog (only for cases where you actually NEEDED it) and two people have got $3 gas while prices soar through $4, $5, or even $6.

Would they consider that a misuse of their gas card? :p

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The discounted gas is based on standard mileage and standard miles - it's just like getting a rebate. How you use the money (gas) is up to you.

Tom

6. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Save your money and buy a used truck, an even better idea. You can get them dirt cheap right now. Dealerships are turning down used trucks now.

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It was a hypothetical, purely intended as a joke - getting Chrysler to provide gas for two Prii for 3 years... I currently have no intention or desire to buy a bigger vehicle :p

8. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good to see that Chrysler is thinking forward. lol.