1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chrysler was in the process of developing EVs for 2010, using $12.5 Bill U.S. taxpayer money. Fiat

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Rybold, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Fiat pulls the plug on Chrysler hybrid and electric car plans

The decision by Fiat SEO Sergio Marchionne is a major voltage reduction for Chrysler. It is also a direct slap in the face of US taxpayers, who gave Chrysler a $12.5 Billion bail-out package, in part to help float Chrysler's plans for its ENVI program to develop and market fuel efficient electric cars. In addition, the Department of Energy gave Chrysler another $70 million in grants in August for this program.

Fiat's decision kills the Dodge Circuit, a two-seater all electric sports car that Chrysler introduced to great fanfare at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year. Chrysler announced in September 2008 that it was developing three EV models, and hoped to get them into production by 2010. That's not happening now.

Fiat pulls the plug on Chrysler hybrid and electric car plans

The U.S. Government needs to file a lawsuit against Fiat to return our money !!!! :mad:

2. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Chrysler was in the process of developing EVs for 2010, using $12.5 Bill U.S. taxpayer money. Fi

They can't have it both ways. They pretty much set up the marriage. Now they are stuck with the decisions to keep Chrysler afloat. Fiat's plans are good, as far as I am concerned. They will keep/leave EV center of excellence in the USA, per their press conference.

3. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Chrysler was in the process of developing EVs for 2010, using $12.5 Bill U.S. taxpayer money. Fi

Looking back on chrysler's ev plans, they were not very good. They seemed rushed to get put out of the door so that they could get the loans and grants. In comparison look at ford, which has ev focus' out in testing. Chrysler would not even put out their two mode hybrid (they did for like a month then pulled it). I even will give gm credit for their volt program. Chrysler was still at the concept car stage 2 years later.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

If that were required, wouldn't the Fed's have to sue GM as well? After all ... hundreds of millions of U.S. tax payer dollars went to develope the EV1, only to have GM tear them away from the lease holders that were begging to buy them or at least let them renew their leases. Next thing you know it's crunch crunch crunch. At least Fiat will get some use out of their labor. GM, on the other hand simply made quick profits on Hummers in stead. And now? Where did THAT product end up. The icing on the cake is that GM re-hires Lutz after the bankruptcy. I love it.

5. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I watched that program about the EV1 and it was fantastic. The thing that made the biggest impact on me was how the dealerships will lose so much money on EVs because you don't have all the maintenance - no oil changes, no transmission fluid changes, no spark plugs, plug wires, air filters, radiator fluids, no exhaust, no nothing.

I see all these companies now making hybrids/PHEVs, and I can't help but think they are pushing the hybrid more than the EV because they still make money on maintenance. Do you feel that the major car companies are not working very hard on EVs because of the total loss of revenue they will have? I just have no faith in the big car companies that they are actually trying to help the consumer.

6. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. An EV has a far reduced scheduled maintenance schedule compared to the ICE counterparts. Take for instance a Porche and a tesla Roadster. Before the Roadster even comes in for it's first visit, the Porche has to be in 4 times. That Trend continues through out the life of the vehicle.

7. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

IMO, Occam's Razor leads me to believe that manufacturers are pushing hybrids because there is very little infrastructure for electric car charging.

This is a chicken-egg problem, but if you're an auto manuf,. would you bet billions on the infrastructure being created due to the release of your product? I wouldn't.

8. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

As Borgs love to say, "Resistance is futile."
    Prepare to go the EV (or EREV) way.
    Pollution of electricity generation can be improved/addressed locally at the plants.
    Sources can be diversified.

9. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Just one more reason why I hate Chrysler products!!!:mad:

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Pissing away government R&D money is nothing new. The only benefit the American taxpayers got on the Supercar program was the Prius.

11. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

You know, I never really thought about it, but you're right. If it weren't for the EV1, Toyota and Honda would have probably never brought their hybrids to market.