1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CHS Temp Sensor and P1150

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by stealthvw, Feb 26, 2008.

1. stealthvw

stealthvw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have been setting P1150 which is associated with the Coolant Heat Storage temperature sensor. The fault sets and clears every few days. I have a copy of the Toyota service manuals. My car is an 06 salvage title which is not under warranty. Toyota replaced a noisy CHS pump but that did not fix the issue. I'm thinking of replacing the temp sensor on the thermos.

Questions:

1. What is the part number of the sensor on th thermos?
    2. Is it the same as the engine temp sensor part number?
    3. Can scangage read both temps at the same time. This would help debug the issue?

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi stealth..,

Pull the sensor if you can, and double check the wiring and connectors. That thermos is out there underneath the fender, and any impact there could easly tear the copper stranding within the insulation, and not show through. If its in the middle of the wires, it might be reparable. If its funny looking wire wire (not insulation) its a thermocouple, but most likely its a thermistor.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. chs water pump had nothing to do with the p1150 code...

could be the coolant flow control valve or a clog/air in the system, or that sensor.

not the same as the engine coolant temp sensor. all the chs temp sensor does is detect that there is coolant flowing past it and that the coolant is hot.

since they opened the coolant system, there may be air in there. but from the sound of it, the code was present prior to you taking it in, right?

next is to verify the tank is storing hot coolant. when you know there's no air in the system, run the engine till it's hot, let it store hot coolant, and park the car overnight. come back the next morning, access the drain port on the bottom of the chs tank and crack it open a little bit. (get your hands out of the way.) look for a little steam as you run a little coolant out of it. then you know it is storing hot coolant and so then it would be either the sensor or the flow control valve. probably the temp sensor.

you haven't diagnosed the problem to arrive at the conclusion the sensor is bad, unless you're cool with shotgunning it.

4. stealthvw

stealthvw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The light came back on today now with P1116. This also suggest the CHS temp sensor or a coolant blockage .

I like the suggestion of checking that the tank is basically holding hot water after an evening.

Any way of getting the Part Number?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    got no connection to the dealer here anymore. call up your local parts department.

6. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello
    I am having same code issue on 2004 Prius and started new thread P1150 revisit .....Question could the circulation path in the inverter/converter HS be a possible location for setting clog path code..?