1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cig Lighter by my legs doesnt work

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Actor with a Prius, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Actor with a Prius

Actor with a Prius '10 Prius : 50 mpg & '90 Nissan 300ZX TT : 5 mpg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello,

I just got my car back from a friend and the cig lighter down by my legs wont work. (Not the one in the center console) I've looked at all the fuses and I think they're fine ? I'm not sure which fuse this would be but They all seem fine.

Also, my amp wont light up (turn on) The power and Ground are from the battery and frame. It used to work before. I touch the Remote wire to both positive and to where it should go, but nothing. I'm wondering if it's powered by the cig ligher port and that's why it wont get power too?

If anyone has any idea. Please let me know. Thanks!

2. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius

Well, did you check BOTH the Left Side Instrument Panel box and the Engine Compartment box?
    (If not, check the owner manual for fuses location)

It sounds like you have 2 fuse problems at the same time which is really weird!
    Unless you (or your friend?) has powered/hacked the amp/tuner from the cig port sharing the same fuse.
    In which case, let me guess, your friend turned on the radio, tried to light up a smoke and then pouf? ;-)
    Nah... tell us it's not the case.

Douglaston-NY likes this.
  3. Actor with a Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yeah I checked both locations.Its the fuse under the dash. 1 & 3 on the top right. Both 15 amp fuses. Used a tester and they both lit up

When I had the car, I had a dual port splitter installed in that port. One went to my radar detector, the other to phone charger. Both worked while my sub rattled the car lol.

Now the port doesn't work, the amp wontt turn on, and the 2 fuses are good.

I'm baffled. Was hoping someone had an idea if not just gotta take it to a radio place.

4. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius

I was talking about the fuse under the hood (front driver side).
    That would be fuse #28 for the Audio system.

5. Actor with a Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh. Yeah the radio itself works fine. Just the amp wont power on. So...I'm guessing some How the remote cable got cut or pulled ? because there's power running to thr amp.

I did check that fuse under the hood. Its fine. Pulled it and radio didn't work completely.

6. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Well then may be the AMP has a blown out fuse?
    Still I don't see why the Power Outlet has no power if the fuses are OK.

Something really weird happened... better get that checked.

7. Actor with a Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know. Its bugging me out too. Was hoping there's something I missed or a fuse I don't know about or a wire or something.

Cuzthere's a few possible scenarios.

The cig lighter and amp have nothing to do with each other. The remote wire to the amp is cut or disconnected somewhere. And, the cig lighter isn't working for x y z reason. Maybe the fuse really is blown? I don't have that fuse puller, im guessing my friend lost it.

Or, the cig is connected to the amp and the fuse blew but lights up when tested.

Im really thinking its the fuse. Im gonna check it today with my mechanic for my Z.

I'll update u on the outcome. Work case scenario I'll take it to the dealer. Gotta do a maintenance anyway.

8. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Well, if it is a custom install, may be the Amp was powered from the cig and even if the cig fuse is ok may be the wire from the fuse to the cig has been disconnected?
    That would explain the two not working.

9. Actor with a Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Alright, finally figured it out !!

Took it to my mechanics house and he bridged the remote wire to the remote and power port. The amp turns on! As does the radio, even with the car off. Which tells us that there is something wrong with the remote wire.

So we check the fuses again with that little yellow fuse tester/puller that comes in those fuse kits from the auto parts store. All the fuses work. Then we open the part where the lighter is, and see that the remote wire is connected to the lighter cables.

So I'm thinking, it has to be a fuse. He says its impossible because they all read that they're working. So I pull both fuses to each cig port. Yep, one was completely burnt. How it read ON I dont know, I just know it's happened to me before. So I replaced the 15amp fuse and now I have a working port and super bass =)

Thanks everyone for your help !!

10. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 15A fuse shouldn't pop if you're just tapping on it to get a remote turn-on for your amp. Either someone plugged in a high powered appliance (like a vacuum) on your cig lighter, or there is a short somewhere. If that fuse pops again without anyone plugging a high powered device, you may have a short and it needs to get fixed asap.

11. Actor with a Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I did find an air compressor to inflate the tires in the trunk whenmi got the car. And the plug was damaged. That could been it ?