1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cincinnati, OH EBH install and get together

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bestmapman, Oct 6, 2007.

1. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This will be the thread describing the Cincy Install-fest. We are expecting about 20 people for this event. So far we have people and pri coming from Alabama, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Ohio and Kentucky. Also on the 8th some people will be going on a tour of the Camry plant tour in Georgetown, KY. Thanks Bob Wilson for setting this up.

It is not too late to come to the install and BBQ. PM me for directions. The install starts at 1:00 and the BBQ starts at 4:00.

I will post updates and pictures.

Hobbit has arrived today and we have aleady started with the technical training/discussions.

2. bestmapman

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wayne(FireEngineer) and family arrived at about 10:30 last night. After some technical discussions and strawberry short cake, all hit the hay.

So far 3 pri in the driveway.

Attached Files:

3. bestmapman

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    First vehicle mod was my Red Pri. EBH and EV switch went in simultaneously. Wayne and Hobbit tore into the Pri with lightning speed and expertise. Both really know there stuff.

Attached Files:

4. bestmapman

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wayne's EBH install #67 and in the back #68. Total of seven Pri at the install and BBQ now.

Attached Files:

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Oct 7 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]522498[/snapback]</div>
    Look, he's just a blur as he installs at lightning speed! :)

It's getting cold here, and I do wish I was in a situation where I could have an EBH, but, I'm not.

glad you all are having fun. :D

6. bestmapman

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hobbit has appointed himself as the tire pressure police. If he finds someone with "low" tire pressure he makes them pump it up. Note the bicycle pump. Hobbit insists that you should work for the extra pressure. Just kidding. So far everyone is having a great time.

Attached Files:

7. bestmapman

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    EBH install #69 on Annarborites prius.

Total of 9 priuses here now.

Attached Files:

8. bestmapman

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Time for some much needed food.

After a long day of EBH installs in 90 degree heat, we were ready to settledown for some dinner.

Attached Files:

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  10. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Oct 7 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]522531[/snapback]</div>
    I would highly recommend the factory tour to anyone in the area. It was very informative and overwhelming visually on how the manufacture and assembly the Camry's. For those that can't attend they have a virtual tour that is excellent at

www.toyotageorgetown.com

Thanks to all that attended, a special thanks to Judd for hosting a cookout and Wayne for installing the block heaters.

---Kent

11. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We just got back to the hotel after the second fantastic day of our little Prius group get together. By the way Jud I did get a free sample of Burbon LOL. The tour was really great and informative. Thanks to Bob for putting it together and a special thanks to Jud and his family for the nice "Southern" hospitality and all the great food, it was really a special day. Now tommorrow a 10 hr. ride home, oh well at least it\'ll still be warm!

12. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What a fun weekend - 9 Prii at Jud & Sonya's house for the EBH installs and a great cookout - What a collection of mods (EBH, EV, BT plate, DRL, computers, hubcaps, etc) and then there's Bob's & Hobbit's rolling research Prii. :)

The Georgetown tour on Monday was fantastic as well. If you're in the area it's well worth the time.

Thanks to all of the organizers - Jud & Sonya, Wayne, Bob.

13. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Looks like you guys had a great time. And in 90 degree weather I wish I could have been there. Cold and damp here, but the heater is doing it's job thanks to Wayne. Thanks for the pics.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On Sunday, Jud and Sonya Engles hosted a block party with Wayne Mitchell . . . engine block heaters. Well attended, we gathered together for a group photo after the Sunday cookout:
    http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_Georgetown.html
    (Thanks Hobbit for the photo, more to come.)

The one hour plant tour was awesome but about eight hours too short! They take steel rolls and 22 hours later, roll out a fully assembled and running Camry, Solara, Avalon, or Camry Hybrid. That includes nine hours in the paint shop. Think of the most complex Disneyland animatronics, multiply it by three orders of magnitude engaged in a man-machine dance of incredible precision.

The massive steel rolls are fed into stamp presses tall as a three story house to make the body parts. These are fed to robot welders to spot weld followed by robot MIG welds finishing the bodies and doors. From here the bodies go to the paint shop where they come out nine hours later. The doors are taken off and go via another route to later rejoin the body.

Brake lines and pre-heated wiring (for flexibility) are installed. The wheel hubs are left dangling by the brake lines. Instrument and dash assemblies are installed, the engine and axles, head-liner, bumpers, bumper covers and eventually the doors arrive. Everything is operational and quality checked and finally taken to a train for shipping across the country. The car models are intermixed on the assembly line so there might be an Avalon followed by a Camry, a Solara, a Camry hybrid . . . One third of all Camrys from this plant are hybrids. Absolutely amazing.

For me, seeing a car assembled makes disassembly so much easier. I don't know why but going from a pile of parts to fully working car makes going from a working (or broken) car to parts a lot less intimidating.

I'll be looking for feedback from the team but it looks like either Columbus Day or Veteran's Day are good scheduling times. They correspond to three day, holiday weekends when the weather is less likely to be too hot. The Motel 6 was affordable, clean, quiet and pet friendly next to the plant. Now if we can just find a friendly shop in the area where we could 'rent a bay' for a 'fall tune-up' and tweakin' session. This could turn into an annual, 'bus man's holiday.'

Bob Wilson

15. bestmapman

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is a group picture at the Toyota plant. The tour was awewome. I had never been in a plant before and is was very interesting to see all the assembly operations.

Attached Files:

16. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We just got home from our fun filled weekend. Bob I'm all for making it an annual event. Maybe the local Toyota dealer would let us use one of their bays. I saw one of their advertising signs that said,"Buy where the people that build them buy". Or maybe the factory would be interested in Hobbit's data. :eek:

17. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a pic of the first Camry produced at the Kentucky plant. Wonder what a NEW 1988 Camry would bring onebay LOL? (Hope the attachment works, it's my first try at it.)

Attached Files:

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally got my travelogue-thingy put together. Tried to make it
    as entertaining as possible, so it's a little more than your usual
    boring "my summer vacation" slides.
    _ http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/pix/ky07/
    _H*

19. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Oct 9 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]523123[/snapback]</div>
    I think that's the first picture I have seen with Hobbit in a pair of shoes, even meeting in person no shoes..

It rubbed off, I love driving the prius bare foot, a better feel for throttle response and pulse & glide. :D

Looks like a great time was had by all :)

20. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 18 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]527354[/snapback]</div>
    A very good read indeed.
    btw, don't drink the Ohio river water, I hear it's bad :eek: