1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Circumcision Recommended in Global HIV Fight

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Marlin, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its been a while since the last great circumcision debate on priuschat. When we last left it, the general consensus seemed to be that circumcision had no medical value.

Therefore, I found the following article interesting...

Circumcision Recommended in Global HIV Fight

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Washington Post")</div>
    Who here thinks men are going to be lining up for free circumcisions?

2. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Mmmh, so if I don't educate myself and take simple safety precautions, I can always cut myself *short* :eek: Yeah that ought to sell well ;)

Why does this sound like:

Removing your liver will lower the risk of alcohol related liver diseases. Don't stop drinking or practice moderation, just remove the trouble maker organ :)

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What did the Sadak say to the Mohel? "Keep the tip."

Tom

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Mar 29 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]414508[/snapback]</div>
    I know you are talking about HIV prevention in Africa, I hope you are not justifying circumcizing babies in this country. Obviously, a baby is not sexualy active therefore a boy can decide on his own whether he wants the procedure done when he understands the consequences.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so if anyone here had the choice, would you circumsize your son for reasons other than religious??

i vote no. my son was due March 25th (he is late) and we are not cutting him

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Mar 29 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]414677[/snapback]</div>
    Problem is, it's got to hurt like hell. Nobody's going to have it done to himself, no matter what are the medical considerations.

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Mar 30 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]414677[/snapback]</div>
    Well, when you think about it, we require immunizations of children to prevent the spread of disease. And immunizations can still cause serious allergic reactions, although I believe the risk of death these days is very, very small (except for the Smallpox vaccine, which few people get anyway).

But yes, I'm not trying to use this article to justify circumcision of all male babies in the US. However, if the US had the same problem with HIV that Africa does, then there might be a good argument for it.

But I did find the idea of men lining up for circumcisions in Africa to be very amusing. Perhaps you have to be male to really understand, but the mere thought of it induces a cringe.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Mar 30 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]414809[/snapback]</div>
    I would have it cut...

I have heard others talking about painful intercourse because their fore skin wouldnt roll back far enough so they would have to get it surgecly cut anyways...

And having it done as a baby you dont remember it, I dont remember mine :blink: :rolleyes:

Also men have to go to the extra step of keeping it clean under the sheath otherwise it could smell or collect that cheesey substance and what woman or person would want to deal with that if the spontainious heavy petting where to happen? :huh:

You would have to say hold on babe, I have to run in and use the restroom (then clean yourself) would the mood pass? :mellow:

I had a buddy that used to complain becuse his wife refused to orally service him because he was uncut her explanation was the same as the above... :rolleyes:

I tried to word this as politcally correct as possible so not to offend. B)

9. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Complet agreement with Hycam.
    We have 2 boys, both snipped, and we're not religious.

It's not that painful to an infant, it may be to an adult, I don't know.
    It's hard enough keeping your babies junk clean without that extra skin.

There are definate advantages to boys/men in cleanliness, disease prevention (from AIDS to yeast infections), as well as definate sexual selection advantages.
    Did someone above seriously say "I can always cut myself *short* " with seriousness?! The penis is not cut, the excess skin is, making it look bigger! Ask any female in which they prefer. Most women find an uncut penis "icky".

10. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was "done" as a baby and never saw a "raw" one until about age 10. I think it'a a lot more sanitary with the extra skin removed. I also think the darn thing is real ugly with the xtra skin.

11. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Mar 30 2007, 09:57 AM) [snapback]414912[/snapback]</div>
    How do you know?

From my limited experience, the crying of babies increases a lot during the procedure. Then they become eerily quiet. Can someone with more experience doing circumcisions on babies comment further?

For adults, urologists use lots of anesthesia -- the one case I saw, the patient opted for general anesthesia.

Sanitation shouldn't be an issue if the penis is washed properly daily. Young boys should be taught this habit.

Finally, it's important to emphasize that circumcision is not a method to stop HIV transmission. If proper methods were followed, then the benefit of circumcision is moot anyway.

12. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those interested in what babies go through when circumisized watch Penn & Teller: BullShit! Season 3 episode 1 "Circumcision". Very good episode and has some magic thrown in. ;) WARNING this episode is very graphic. Well actually all their episodes are graphic. :)

13. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Uhm guys ... basic sanitary practices should be use and practiced! Well I can speak for myself :)

tell me do you just dab you buttocks or do you actually wipe "in between" :)

you do open you mouth to brush, do ya? :p

and trust me the majority of uncircumcised men in Europe have no problem with the procreation process :D

14. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They can beat their chest and claim how their penis is natural or whatever... then they will come crawling to modern science to fix the problems they have from not being cut.

15. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    all I am saying is that if nature intended for it to come off.. it would 'molt'

use your brain, use your soap.

Oh and use a condom for goodness sake...oh wait the Pope said no.. so lets cut our ding-ding (kind of like a mea culpa) and engage in now sanctioned intercourse :)

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Genital mutilation or condom? Hmmm. Tough choice. Not.
    Condoms should be given out free in Africa, dropped from airplanes by the thousand if that's easier.

17. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Mar 30 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]415055[/snapback]</div>
    Wishful thinking

http://hrw.org/campaigns/aids/2005/uganda/

18. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Mar 30 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]414912[/snapback]</div>
    My son was snipped, too. I wrestled with the decision for a bit, but the deciding vote came from my brother. He was NOT snipped, and said he always had a bit of a complex about it.

I know the tides are turning on the circumcision debate, and less baby boys are snipped now than they used to be, but oh well...

19. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Mar 30 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]414983[/snapback]</div>
    That's potentially 12 square inches of sexually sensitive skin that is what did you say, real ugly? I wish I had my real ugly back again.

lol

~buttster

20. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Mar 30 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]415059[/snapback]</div>
    Wow we are taking the UN approach here in "talking" others into giving there sinful ways. :)

Maybe we can export Nike's new slogan: Just don't do it!