1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Circumnavigation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Canuck, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sure others have made a similar trip but as encouragement for anybody contemplating one I'll just pass along a few tidbits of our just completed trip across Canada/US and return to Vancouver Island.
    1. Departed Duncan, BC 6 Sept 06 and returned 15 Oct 06.
    2. 2005 Prius
    3. Covered 10686 miles
    4. Spent $622 (USD) for gas
    5. Crossed US from Blaine WA down to I-80 entered Canada at Sarnia, ON taking the CAN 402/401 and assorted highways to SE Nova Scotia. Back to New Brunswick to cross into the US at Calais ME. Down thru the most beautiful Autumn scenery to Boston MA, NY NY, Philadelphia PA, Washington DC then along I-40 to Las Vegas NV. On to Stanton CA then North on I-5 with a brief stay near Roy WA ( thanks fellow Prius owners Becky and Bob.) And back home.
    6. Two oil changes during the trip where the Toyota folks at Spradley Toyota in Cheyenne WY and Lancaster Toyota East Petersburg PA took us at short notice and doing an efficient job.
    * A tragic footnote to the Lancaster visit was that the brutal killings of the Amish children were within two hours and and a few short miles of our being there.* as we heard on our satellite radio just down the road.
    7. Lost $40 at Vegas..... within 15 minutes on the quarter machines.
    8. Forunately had only one accident....... we were attacked by a tumbling tumbleweed in NM when in a pretty brisk breeze the thing lept out of the ditch and smacked itself down the side of our precious Prius.
    9. Used cruise 90% of the time in mountains and on the flat set at max. speed limit keeping up with the best of them without any trouble.
    10. Seating was exceptionally comfortable ....... absolutely no aches or pains.
    11. Plenty of room for everything to make life comfortable and then some; even allowing for all the must-have purchases which caught our eye.
    12. Navigation by Garmin 2620 which consistantly got us back on track when we erred and had no trouble taking us right up to the motel office at the end of the day's run which was normally from sun-up to 3:30-4:00pm.
    13. Best of all: Not one problem with the Prius throughout.
    If you have....... thanks for taking the time to read the above.
    Gary

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    niiice.

I'm a bit confused with the beginning of the trip. Which way did you go? It seems like you went south, then north to ON, then south to the eastern states then right across to NV and then up I-5 home.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

big trip! Any tidbits on real or perceived miles per gallon (like on different terrains, climates, interstates vs backroads, etc.)

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 18 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]334781[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I suppose it is a bit confusing 'cause I thought too much detail might confuse thing more.
    Dropped South to just north of Salt lake to avoid the forest fires to the North then to Indiana to visit the delightful mother-in-law back up to St. Charles IL to see children and grandchildren plus three basketball games all three of which were played on triple courts and when I asked my granddaughter how she knew which whistle to react to she said, " Coach says to keep playing until the referee says to stop". Had to go to Nova Scotia to visit sister then south to I-40 to avoid repeating the first part of the trip and on to California to see another daughter. Hope this helps. Still have to figure out the MPG/ or L/100k.
    Gary

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahhh ok. Makes sense now.

6. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What? No trip fuel efficiency numbers? What was your miles per gallon for the trip? Inquiring minds want to know. hehe

7. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To add to my original post: trip mpg (USgal) 47.059 at average cost per gal $2.74 (USD)
    Sorry for not including it in the post but I was assigned more important chores by the vacation coordinator. She wouldn't release the gas receipts until I'd helped unpack everything and wash the car.
    Gary

8. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Oct 18 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]334864[/snapback]</div>
    BD,
    Most of the trip was on major highways and interstates. Road conditions were remarkably good with construction well organized resulting in very few delays. We were blessed with beautiful weather except a couple of rain squalls and a deluge just as we we leaving Albuquerque NM where the highway was obliterated by heavy rain on an off ramp under construction.Trying to remain in our lane as it kept being altered by those orange barrel thingies and not being able to pull off safely was a challenge.
    Sorry didn't do enough of a data breakdown to do the mpg thing in different driving conditions.
    Gary

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That'll be 5.0L/100km right? Sounds right for highway driving.

10. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 20 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]335778[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, TP, that would be about right..........I figured it out be roughly 4.9981955L/100km .......as they say," good enough for government work". :rolleyes:
    Gary