1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Citizens' Band radio (also known as CB radio)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SlyCorona, Aug 21, 2012.

1. SlyCorona

SlyCorona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a very long commute, 60 miles each way and 1 hour minimum. I installed a low end Cobra 40 channel CB radio to help pass the time and to get traffic information. The antenna was purchased and trimmed to my car from a communication store which carries CB radios. My problem is, there is so much Radio Frequency noise generated when the Prius is put into drive (not even driven and without the gasoline motor starting) that it is picked up by the antenna and makes tons of static on the radio. The radio is virtually useless. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Slycorona

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well considering that CB is simple Amplitude Modulation, and EMF RFI generated by the Prius electronics loves to wreak havoc on AM radio, that leaves 3 options!
    A - Just get a Amateur Radio License, it is NO CODE VERY simple, I have given the test to a 12 year old girl, she ACED IT! It is not that hard, PM me if you are interested! There are 2 meter repeater groups in most towns, easy!
    B - Figure out how to shield the RFI generating stuff, and there is quite a bit of it. If you don't you will have to run the Squelch up so high, you may squelch out traffic you intended to listen to!Maybe some near field comms may work for you.
    C - Just dump the CB idea, it's the wrong car for AM HF reception, however there are some hams out here who have accomplished the shielding operation, with mixed to good results!

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    How many ham truckers are there?

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thousands, you would be surprised, especially after the FCC stepped in and raided Truck Stops and seized illegal Linear amplifiers that truckers were running, now it's 5 watts only! With amateur, you could legally run up to 1500 watts, if you had the power to power it! Since its a much better mode of comms, many truckers have gravitated to it!

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll have to ask my brother what it's like on the east coast.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, if it wasn't for that noise thing, you could just drop one in! If you really want the CB, there is one thread, if I find it I will come back and edit, you can see what you have to do to suppress the RFI in a car generates it!
    It can be done, it takes a bit of work and will be a challenge!

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I use cruise a lot, so I only keep my CB in the car for emergencies. :D
    Mt brother's a ham, so I'll ask him about the truckers.

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius and HAM radio | PriusChat

Read this thread, pay attention to post 20, this is the ham who shielded the Prius to run HF, which like CB is SSB, and AM! Check out all the work he did to suppress the noise!
    If you try it, good luck, let us know how it works out for you!