1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

City/Hwy mix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Anonymous, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My commute to and from work is a 50/50 mix between city and freeway. Before buying my Prius, I figured that I wouldn't get really great mileage because of the amount of freeway miles that I rack up. However, it seems as though my mileage doesn't really go upwards much until I get on the freeway. Today, nearing the fill-up zone of 450 to 500 miles, I was averaging a rather dismal 52.3. By the time I got off of the freeway and was back to city driving, my mileage had improved to 53.5. Some of it may be that I'm getting somewhat low on fuel but I find it interesting that freeway driving seems to give me better mileage, especially when driving TO work. The drive home doesn't fare as well.

2. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    52 MPG average sounds pretty good to me. We are doing good if we average in the high 40s but my wife only has a 4 mile commute with no freeways. The mileage is very dependent on length of trip and speed. What is the average speed for your freeway commute and is it the similar in the morning & evening? The difference you see between morning and evening freeway driving may also be due to whether your Prius is fully warmed up when you enter the freeway. If you get on the freeway shortly after starting the trip home, the freeway mileage will be more affected by the warm up mileage (about 25 MPG for the first 5 minutes). If you read through some of the past posts discussing mileage, you can get a better feeling for how your mileage will vary due to driving and temperature conditions....

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, I forgot to include a few things. The entire one-way trip is thirty miles. I have to drive probably six miles with several lights before getting to the freeway. The trip home, I'm on the freeway after only a couple of miles and a couple of lights. Currently, with construction on the exit ramp close to work, I detour so that I put up with several more lights and more city driving but the detour, oddly enough, is a couple of miles shorter. A lot of the commute's miles are freeway and I drive either 70 mph or below depending on traffic. I know, I said it was 50/50 but I think that I meant that in terms of time rather than mileage, now that I think about it. The first several miles before turning in to freeway are in a 50 mph zone and it increases to 60 then 70 within a few miles. By the time I'm really on the freeway, the car is definitely warmed up going to work.