1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

clanging noise on a new Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DIV, Apr 16, 2009.

1. DIV

DIV New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have around 2500 miles on my new '09 Prius.
    Just the other day, I started noticing a soft metallic clanging/squeaking that seems to be coming from under the passenger side floor. It only happens at higher speeds with road vibration (bumps), but doesn't seem to get worse with large bumps. It's more like a vibration from something being loose(?)

If anyone has ever had a steering wheel "the club" security device--it sounds very similar that clanging sound as you drive over bumps with the "club" laying on the floor; just maybe not as loud.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll certainly take it in for a look by the Dealer, but you guys are all so experienced and knowledgable that I can't imagine I'm the first one with this issue.

Thanks!

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before going to that bother, thoroughly consider all of the storage areas in the car, any loose objects you may have left lying around, and all movable parts such as foldable seat latches, the tonneau cover in the back, etc. With all the hard surfaces inside the source of a noise can be far from its apparent position. If possible have a passenger look for the source while you drive.

3. DIV

DIV New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yeah, I've been checking for loose objects, but I have yet to have the a passenger do a little looking around. Unfrotunately it does sound like it's coming for just underneath the floor.

4. DIV

DIV New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I THINK I GOT IT!!
    Under the passenger seat there's some electronics housed under a rectangular plastic cover. That cover is a bit loose and is making noise. I thought I could screw-tighten it down, but when I tried to remove the 2 round black screw covers it turned out there not covers. It looks like the cover is held in place by plastic rivots. Anyone know more about this thing?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is the JBL power amplifier. Now that you know the cause of the noise, why not visit your dealer and let them take care of the problem since your 3 year/36K mile warranty is still in effect.

6. DIV

DIV New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ah, Thanks Patrick!
    I appreciate the help. will do!